Shared printer(s) problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by ramjet99, Jan 14, 2009.

1. ramjet99

ramjet99 Private E-2

I have searched here and other places for help with my problem, but have not uncovered any help for my situation, so here goes:
    1. Four XP PCs (3-desktops; 1-laptop) and one Vista desktop - all set for sharing of files/folders and printers.
    2. Three printers (HP 3055 laserjet, HP 5940 inkjet, and Brother QL-550 label printer) tied to one of the XP desktops thru USB hub.
    3. All desktops connected thru LAN. Laptop connects via wireless.
    4. Router/cable modem is a Linksys WCG200.
    5. All printers are set for sharing.
    6. I've downloaded and installed all the latest drivers for these printers.
    7. Here's the problem: The Vista desktop will occasionally, and, I believe, randomly lose connection to the three printers. Looking at "Control Panel > Printers" shows them "offline," and the only way I have been successful at getting them back again is to restart Windows (another major PITA). This is not a new problem. I've been dealing with this for quite some time - maybe since I got the Vista machine a couple years ago. I don't remember exactly. Also, none of the XP machines exhibits this phenomenon.

No problem on any machines with file sharing and internet access. Even the Vista machine works fine with file sharing and the internet when the printer connections go "offline." I JUST CAN"T PRINT!!!:tas

I'm at my wits end and would appreciate help with this situation.
    Thanks in advance

2. ramjet99

ramjet99 Private E-2

Update: I incorrectly stated one of the conditions. When the printers are "offline," I also cannot see any of the other machines on the local network even though "Network and Sharing Center says I have a local connection and am connected to the internet.

3. ramjet99

ramjet99 Private E-2

Yes, DHCP is active so no static IPs

My "check" of the cable was limited to several attempts at disconnection, "wiggling," and reconnection to see if machine would respond - no luck, although I seem to have been successful one time. Don't know if that was coincidence or ???

I've read some articles about creating local ports and installing printers. While I know how it's done, I'm not sure I understand the rationale or what is actually happening that way.

I have thought about installing XP as part of a dual boot system.

Thanks for your suggestions. While I consider myself very experienced, I have no illusions about being an expert - especially in the misty world of networking.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds