Sharing files and a printer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bladesofhalo, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

Hello, haven't posted here in a long time, glad to be back :)

But straight to the issue.

Currently I have one computer on Windows XP (the computer I primarily use) and another computer that was given to me yesterday and has Windows 2000 Professional SP4 on it.

I currently have a Lexmark 4200 Series printer connected to the computer on XP and a Linksys WRT54GX Wireless - G router in order to share my internet connection between the Windows XP pc, my Xbox 360, and now the Windows 98 pc using ethernet cables.

I want to share the contents of one of my hard drives and the printer between the XP and Win98 pcs. is it possible with this current configuration?

2. Elder_Usr

Elder_Usr Sergeant

Possibly. The windows 98 computer will not recognize the NTFS partition though, thats the only issue I can see. Also, I do not know if Windows 98 can support network shares. If it can, then ya as long as the contents of one of your hard drives are setup using FAT32 instead of NTFS, and the printer drivers have been installed on the Windows 98/XP. Then, yeah, shouldn't be any issue. If you have any problems, let me know.

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Format type (NTFS, FAT32, whatever) is not relevant across a network, only on the local machine.

As far as I can remember, you must login to 98 with a password to have the ability to access network shares.

4. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

Thanks for the responses.

I made a mistake by listing Windows 98 in the fourth paragraph when it was supposed to be Windows 2000.

Sorry.

Just to be clear, I am trying to share a printer and a hard drive between a XP pc and a Win 2000 pc.

Thanks.

5. Elder_Usr

Elder_Usr Sergeant

Lol. Then ya, you shouldn't have any issues. When you try to connect using either Windows 2k or XP it'll ask you for the opposite one's creds when connecting to it. You really shouldn't have any issues as long as you know the ip/pc name. :)

Best of luck.

6. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

7. TheRealGEEK

TheRealGEEK Private First Class

that configuration is fine for network sharing. the computers on the wireless will be slower on downloading, uploading, and printing than the wired though expically if you have a gigabit wired network

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds