Sharing Violations with Paint, problems with Notepad

Discussion in 'Software' started by Samurai Joe, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Samurai Joe

Samurai Joe Private E-2

I'm having a double problem here going on at current lately. Every now and then when copying and pasting to and fro MS Paint, which I tend to use for artwork, I get this little message:

"A sharing violation occurred while accessing [file path/address]."

Which I find odd, because it never used to do that before. And thus saving takes several tries or an alternate method.

Another oddity is when I'm using notepad for certain things, also with copying and pasting, or just saving in general, I think, even when the file already exists. I tend to get this message:

"Cannot create the [file name and address] file. Make sure the path and filename are correct."

I can just simply use the Save As feature around that, it's a minor thing, but it is kind of a bugger.

I'd appreciate any help on why this is happening and if there's a way to fix it.

2. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

You did not mention which version of Windows you are using?
    Always a good idea to make sure you have the latest security patches at http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us
    (must use Internet Explorer)

After doing a Google search of your problem, Microsoft offers very little help:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc956587.aspx

Possible solution offered here - look at the posts by mark0adam:
    Dreamweaver CS4 sharing violation

A few things that I would try in that situation are:

- Make sure you antivirus program and any other antimalware software are up to date.

- Install Startup Control Panel Standalone Version and check to see if anything has been Added that should not be there.

- Remove and then add the MS Paint component:
    (procedure with Win XP)

1. Add or Remove Programs
    2. Add/Remove Windows Components
    3. select Accessories and Utilities and click Details
    4. select Accessories and click Details
    5. UnCheck Paint and click OK
    6. when done, click Next and then Finish
    7. Reboot the computer

This is optional, but I would also run the Registry cleaner in CCleaner Slim but Don't Use any other registry cleaner.

Then go back to Add or Remove Programs and reinstall the Paint component.

Hope this helps.

3. Samurai Joe

Samurai Joe Private E-2

I tried all those things suggested, but I'm not having any luck getting the sharing violations to stop. Rats.

Guess for now I'll take the Microsoft site's advice and just try again a later time like it says. Also, yeah, sorry about that, I forgot to mention that I'm using Windows XP.

Thanks for the help anyways, though, I appreciate it. I tried that CCleaner Slim thing and it seems to have helped my computer out a bit, at least. :)

4. rykellim

rykellim Private E-2

I am using Windows 7 Home Edition and also facing the same problem with Paint. :(

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds