Shift Alt Cntrl keys work only intermittently

Discussion in 'Software' started by drcarl, Apr 14, 2010.

1. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

The "Shift," "Alt" and "Cntrl" keys work only intermittently for my sweetie.

The problem is with all three keys, though most of my testing has only been with the Shift key.

The problem persists BOTH when working locally, here at home, and when working remotely on her office workstation (she usually telecommutes) with RDP.

Here is a sample where I capitalized every word, and typed them into Notepad (to avoid any auto-correct functions)

--------------------------------------
    This is a Test OF tHe eMergency broadcasting System
    this is A Sample of Results WHen i capitalize every sIngle word
    (PArenthetically sPeaking0
    --------------------------------------

This problem has been going on for about a month, and just comes and goes...intermittently. This is making her crazy. If we can't solve this one, it might drive her around the bend...so, if you don't hear from me for a long time.....OK Ok ok...

The original keyboard connects via the PS2 port. To rule-out keyboard/hardware issues, we plugged a USB keyboard in (simultaneously; is that still a good hardware test?) and the problem persisted.

In Accessibility, we have un-checked the sticky keys, toggle keys and filter keys boxes.

We tested every key with only the left shift key depressed, then with only the right key depressed. It seems that the problem is with the transition since only the beginning of each row occasionally displayed the problem after hitting Enter for a line break. Once the key was held down, the rest of the row would be fine.

Here is an example with the left shift key held down for all characters (note the "q" and the "a") :

----------------------------------------
    ~!@#$%^&*()_+
    qWERTYUIOP{}|
    aSDFGHJKL:"
    ZXCVBNM<>?
    ----------------------------------------

We are aware of how to use the shift keys to toggle some features (hold both down simultaneously, hold one down for 8 seconds, etc.)

She's running XP Pro and the MS Office suite as well as MS Dynamics GP (accounting software), AV locally is Avast, and on the office network it's NOD32.

We hope you can help.

2. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

You could try uninstalling the keyboard driver (in Device Manager), then reboot and let XP reinstall it for you.

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Here's an idea that might not appeal to you because it's somewhat complicated. But, it would be a way of verifying whether this is a hardware problem or a software (Windows, or possibly malware) issue.

The idea: download Linux Ubuntu (this would be an .ISO file) and burn it to disc (CD/DVD). If burned with a proper burning program, this creates a bootable disc. In other words, Ubuntu can be run off the CD drive; it need not be installed on the hard drive in order to run it. With the Ubuntu disc in the CD/DVD drive and the computer set (in the BIOS) to select CD drive as the first boot device, start the computer and let Ubuntu boot. When running it from CD drive (as opposed to be being installed on hard drive), it will run slower, so be patient. Once it's booted, you could open the word processor component of OpenOffice and see whether you have the same problem. If not, then you know it's not a hardware problem.

To burn the ISO file to disc, I suggest downloading and installing ImgBurn.

4. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Thanks GC and usa...

GC, see attached photo. Just to be sure, I ask: Even without an install disc (the OS is OEM) XP will for sure feel-around for the keyboard driver and re-install it after I uninstall it in Device Manager?

---

usa, I suppose I'd have to install open office on her computer first, right?

I have never seen or navigated from within Linux. I would hope that it's intuitive enough for me to be able to find something like Windows Explorer in order to get at the Open Office Word Processor...

Thanks for the ImgBrn tip, too. (I wonder which program you meant to refer to, there are quite a few on the linked page.) Couldn't I just burn a CD with my computer running Win 7 x64?

---

Thanks again,

--drcarl

Attached Files:

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

No, you would not need to install OpenOffice on her computer. Like the Ubuntu OS, all applications bundled with it such as OpenOffice also run off the CD drive.

I'd try GC's suggestion first since it would be much easier. Windows will install a driver since the keyboard is a common device.

6. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

OK then. I'll try the easy solution first.

If I go for the Ubuntu fix, I guess I'll burn Open Office onto the disc, too.

Thanks again!

drcarl

7. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

If you try Ubuntu, you won't need to select OpenOffice separately. It's bundled with Ubuntu, along with a music player, movie player, PDF reader, web browser (Firefox), email client, etc. In other words, all these applications are bundled with the operating system in the same manner as Windows Media Player, Notepad, WordPad, Outlook Express, Windows Messenger, etc. are bundled with Windows.

And, actually, you could use applications other OpenOffice when using Ubuntu. For example, it has a text editor, similar to Windows Notepad. So, there would be other ways, besides OpenOffice, the test the keyboard functionality with Ubuntu.

8. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Windows keeps a copy of your keyboard driver (and others) and knows where to find them if they're not installed. That photo shows the error you get when you don't have a working keyboard plugged in.

9. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Nice!!! I'll re-create it and shoot my own image (I'm a photographer among other things). Then I can use the image freely! Thank you for telling me how to recreate it (without Photoshop which would also be easy enough).

:cool

10. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

Try the USB without the PS\2 connected.

11. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

OK, we'll try that if it 'misbehaves' again...SOMEthing we did may have solved it!?! Thank you for your input.

12. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

No problemo, doc.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds