Shopping for a new laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sgt. Tibbs, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

So, it's time to look at replacing the one that got stolen. I like Toshiba, could be convinced to go Dell. Not interested in Gateway or Compaq. I don't game, I don't do graphics editing, I don't need anything fancy. All I want is a work machine, so I can get online, get email, and create office documents. I don't need all the bells and whistles. Shoot, I was perfectly happy with my Pentium II, 133mHz, 4 gig hard drive other than the fact that it was slow. :)

So this is what I'm looking at. Thoughts?

Toshiba Satellite A65
    Toshiba Satellite A60 (the basic model)
    *Apparently, they don't make them with the little eraser-thingy for the mouse any more. :( I loved that thing.

Dell Inspiron 1150 (again, the basic model, adding an external floppy drive)
    Dell Inspiron 1000 (basic model, adding external floppy drive)

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

IBM still uses the nipple mouse. I was always curiously aroused by it..lol (that was a joke so go away peanut gallery! :p). any way. I've always had the impression that Toshiba was over-priced.

3. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

The one I'm replacing was a Toshiba Satellite 2535CDS, so that's why I looked at them first. I'll have to go look at IBM, though...didn't even think of them. :)

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Warning about IBM.. though their Laps are nice.. they are the ugliest ..correction..they are the fugliest laptops around..

5. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

IBM is also hella expensive! Lord...I clicked through their "what features you want" thing, and for just the bare minimum they offer it gave me a price of $2200 on sale. NOT what I'm looking for.

So....I'll deal without having the eraser thingy. :D

6. acejones

acejones A Different Title

we bought an Avaratec laptop at my last job...it was nice and very affordable. a lot better deal than dell. but it seems Avaratec's site is either down or they went under. oh well.

7. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

After speaking with IBM, Dell and Toshiba on the phone, the Toshiba A60 is the front runner. But not the cheapest one, the one that goes for $1049.

A60-S1561
    Great for first time buyers, this system offers the reliable Intel® Celeron® processor 2.80GHz, Windows® XP Home, and built-in CD burner for making audio CDs and backing up your files.

Intel® Celeron® Processor 2.80GHz
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
    256MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM
    15" XGA Display (1024 x 768)
    ATI® Mobility Radeon® 7000 IGP w/32MB shared video memory
    40GB HDD (4200 rpm)
    DVD/CD-RW
    Integrated Wi-Fi® (802.11g)
    No Office software

Also Includes:

Microsoft® Works
    Microsoft® OneNote™
    3-USB ports
    TV-Out (S-Video) Port
    10/100 Ethernet
    V.92/56K modemº
    RGB monitor port
    ECP Parallel port

Unfortunately, no one in my areas stocks them, so I can't go put my hands on one before purchasing. On the plus side, however, the woman at Toshiba said to ask for her specifically when I'm ready to purchase, and she'll see what additional deals she can get for me. I'm already at free shipping. :)

No matter what I buy, the very first thing I'll be doing is reformatting to get rid of XP and installing Win2k. :)

8. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

downgrade to 2k? please tell me you have a GOOD reason for doing this.. "I don't like XP" is not sufficient enough.

9. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Regarding XP (I was just asked this question on another board):

I hate its layout; I hate its file system; I hate its logon system; I hate its multimedia defaults (which are ALL features I don't want or need because I have free software that does more better); I hate its faulty firewall that gives people the false impression that they're secure when they're not; I hate the fact that you have to creat 842 user accounts to accomplish anything worthwhile; I hate its start menu; I hate the fact that you can't simply open Word or Excel from "start - programs", you have to choose "open a new office document" and then choose Word or Excel from there; and I hate the default fonts and skins.

When I needed to reformat my laptop to get rid of WinME, I chose to "downgrade" to Win98SE rather than even consider XP. And when I wanted to upgrade my desktop to get rid of WinME, I chose Win2k over XP, even though I had to pay for 2k and XP would've been free of charge (both legal versions).

At the union office, they put XP Pro on my machine, and I refused to work on it until they put 2k back. I've tried various looks and feels and configurations of XP, and I have hated them all. And for the record, I didn't go into it wanting to hate it...I really wanted to like it. And if I'd been going from ME to XP, I probably would. But I fell in love with 2k, and that's what I prefer. I don't consider it a downgrade. XP sucks donkey balls, as far as I'm concerned. ;) :D

10. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Can be changed to classic look

you're going to have to do better than that. The FS is the same as 2k

what do you hate about it? disable user switching if you don't like it

so why are you complaining.. just use your own stuff

better something than nothing, but then again I don't see you're reasoning here if there are 3rd party apps that you use. Disable its' firewall and use your own.

erm.. praytell, what on earth are you talking about..

switch to classic view

Um... what are you talking about.. you don't have to do this.. never have in any version for any reason.
    disable theme service..

so far all the reasons you've stated have been irrational. i have provided a solution for everyone of them and as such removes any reason for you not using XP.

11. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

At my office, when you click on "start - programs", NO MS office programs show up in the list. You have to choose "open a new office document", which opens a window where you can choose if you want a text document, a spreadsheet, a database, or a powerpoint presentation. I have sat there for 15+ minutes trying to do it otherwise, and it just doesn't happen.

OK, how about this...I don't like it, and I don't have to use it if I don't want to! :D I'm not arguing this...it's my machine, I can put whatever OS on it I want to, right? :) It's a personal preference thing, and I see no reason to use XP purely because it's the latest and greatest from MS. I like 2k, I don't like XP. For my machine that no one but me will be using, that should be reason enough. :)

12. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

sounds like something THEY did because it's definately not a default. How about, no, it's not good enough. It maybe your machine, but your logic behind it is irrational, flawed and painted with a bias toward the operating system which you haven't had the opportunity to experience with out some propeller head IT guy locking you out.

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

LOL, someone hit a nerve. :p

Not that I dsagree.

XP can be made to look and act damn near identical to 2k.

In regards to fixing OSes, with the exception of winsock rips, I prefer XP bigtime.

14. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

My wife says I'm good that sometimes.. lol ;)

15. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

So anyway....whatever OS I choose....how does the hardware part look? That's really what I wanted input on, not anything to do wtih the OS.

I'm replacing a Toshiba Satellite 2535CDS, with a P2, 133, 4 gig hard drive, and 96meg of RAM (came with 32, I added). Does what I'm looking at, with the hardware listed, look like it's worth the cost? I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to laptops, I hadn't even begun looking at them until mine was stolen.

16. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

You could always play some games with them.. Call up dell and say hey, "I'm can get this Toshiba with blah blah blah for xyz dollars " .. see if can get them to drop the price.. then go back to Toshiba and do the same.. You could end up getting a nice laptop for cheap cheap.. ;)

Put XP Pro on it or I will haunt your dreams

17. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

ROFLMAO!!!! Now THAT is just about threat enough to get me to do it! LOL [​IMG]

18. kc5cqa

kc5cqa Private E-2

First, I may be in the wrong 'area'. And second, if you answer my post/question please talk very slow, cause I a dumber than a stick. :rolleyes: ok, with that said.
    In the last several years I have used up several VCR's. Sooo, with that in mind, I think I would like to do this,,,,,,, purchase/install the hardware/software that is needed to turn my computer, computers, into a vcr. I have a older H/P,700 mhz, that I installed a larger h/d,,, and a 'home/built' that is 2.5gz, w/512. with a cd burner, dvd player. I would appreciate your input/info.
    As it took me about half hour to 'make this post', I think I should post my email address. It may be a while before I ''''get back here'''':confused: lorentsonci@lycos.com thanks inadvance cl "73"

19. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

You're in the right forum, but you wanted to create a new thread rather than replying to mine, I think. Or at least if your post is in response to mine, I don't quite see how.

Welcome to MG! I'm sure someone will split this out soon (and delete this post of mine, which is fine, and expected) and you'll get answers from people here on your question. :)

20. Pius

Pius Private E-2

i just bought a laptop from www.abspc.com and have been quite happy with the quality, service and proformace soo far. not usre if you were still looking for another option but in my seraching they were the cheapest company i found.

21. acejones

acejones A Different Title

22. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Hm. I'd need a LOT more information, and some references, to consider that one. Neat thought, though. :)

So, you'd think I'd know, but yet I just don't...what's the difference between these two things:

256MB PC2700 DDR333 SDRAM
    256MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM

I've read a bunch of tech specs, but they don't make sense to me (my brain doesn't work that way). Does anybody have a "stupid person" version, like one of them is faster than the other or something?

23. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

The diffrence between pc2700 or ddr333 and pc2100 or ddr266 is the memory timing. Basically the higher the speed , in this case pc2700 the faster your system will perform and the more productive it will be.

24. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Thanks muchly! That settles it, then. I'm going with the A65, even if they're out of stock and I have to wait. Same price, faster memory, bigger hard drive (60 instead of 40).

Now to save up the money...

LOL!! I just realized...I didn't actually need any advice, I just needed to talk it out. Thanks for all suggestions I got through this, and my apologies for wasting time and space. ;)

25. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Not to beat a dead horse, but I just thought I'd add that changing Windows XP to look and act like 2000 is VERY simple. It takes 2 minutes at the most. ;) Anyway, good luck.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds