Short cut creation

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ray Davis, May 31, 2011.

1. Ray Davis

Ray Davis Private First Class

Pavillon dv9500z CTO Notebook PC, 4GB ram, Win7 OS
    This likely goes elsewhere, but I couldn't figure out where. So...
    I'm unable to get my 'desktop' to produce the screen which allows me to create a shortcut. In this case, a link to a website.

Directions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

The usual method for creating a shortcut on the Desktop is to Right Click an empty area of the desktop,
    select New and then Shortcut.
    This will produce a dialog where you enter the target, in this case, the internet address that you want.

This example uses the address for this forum thread:

Internet_Shortcut_01.jpg

3. Ray Davis

Hello, and, you're right. That's not working, and the reason I've asked the question. What can I do to restore that function?
    Thanks, Ray

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Open the website and drag the favicon (the symbol in front of the website address) to your desktop. If it doesn't have a favicon, then the best you can do is add the site to your favorites/bookmarks.

5. Ray Davis

Thanks. Never seen that trick before! I'd still like my desktop menu to show the shortcut creation screen. Any ideas there?
    Thanks again.
    Ray

6. plodr

The desktop menu is not used for creating shortcuts to websites. It is used for creating shortcuts to things on your computer.

7. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

8. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

But, it can be used to create shortcuts to websites, as mjnc said is a previous post. See below:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  9. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

10. Ray Davis

Hot damn! Thanks THISISU! It worked. I wasn't able to get the shortcut screen to appear at all. Seems I'm good to go.

Thanks to others who took a shot at my question.
    Ray

11. plodr

I don't run Windows 7 so I have never seen that wizard. I'm always ready to learn something new.
    Ray, what did you do to get the screen appear because it was not appearing for you earlier?

12. Ray Davis

13. plodr

Thanks. It was a registry fix.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds