Should I always upgrade drivers?

Discussion in 'Software' started by honeysucklemama, Mar 21, 2008.

1. honeysucklemama

honeysucklemama Private E-2

I am new to PCs. I just upgraded a driver for my video card because I was having some issues. Now I am wondering how many OTHER drivers there are on my system, and if I should be upgrading them as well.

Is upgrading them something I am supposed to be doing on a regular basis? Do YOU upgrade your drivers on a regular basis?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Good question and at times the answer should be yes, as in upgrading drivers will bring any fixes to the older ones, but also on the flip side is that installing drivers when the ones you have already are working perfectly, may cause crashes and or other issues.

So personally I tend not to try and install all the drivers on a PC, but only a select few and those are:

Graphics
    LAN
    Audio ( but very rarely as these are the ones most likely to go wrong as if you have an OEM pc from the likes of DELL, HP, SONY etc etc then they at times use custom made audio chips and the default ones the actual maker eg. Realtek release may not be compatible, even with same hardware code of chip ) always get from the maker of your PC if OEM or the motherboard makers support and download site for your specific motherboard, dont just install any that sound same.

So personally if PC is running fine then I dont update drivers at all, if not needed to fix specific issue.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds