Should I image my harddrive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PaulaW, Jun 14, 2012.

1. PaulaW

PaulaW Private E-2

I was having some computer problems so I ran SeaTools on my harddrive and it fails so I'm sending the drive back and getting a new one. My question is should I image this drive onto the new one so I don't lose stuff or is there a chance it will bring bad stuff to the new one and I should just start over? This drive is only about 6 weeks old. It's a computer I built for my son and he has a lot of music making software on it and would rather image it than start over having to reinstall everything but I don't want to take chances of messing up the new drive. Thanks!

2. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

I asume that the failure is ''Read '' and has some bad sectors so if you try an 'Image' chances are it will lock and get you nowhere. Best go for a fresh install when the new drive arrives.

3. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

I second Toke's opinion.

In addition to the chance of the drive locking up, an image of a drive is a carbon copy of the registry, files, etc. - complete with the same corruption the old drive has. Even if you were successful in imaging it, you'd still have the same errors as on the old drive.

4. PaulaW

PaulaW Private E-2

Okay, thank you for the advice!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds