Should I just bin this build. ARGH Friday 13th. Really need help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rik_na, Jul 5, 2007.

1. rik_na

rik_na Sergeant

So I must be coming across as total idot but let me point out I have built a fair few computers in my time, and although not professional I do generally know I am doing so the I can only think it is because it is Friday the 13th I have had the following problems, please bear with me there is a point.

1) I install memory of 1gb. Despite it being compatible it fails and the computer wont post. i replace the memory all works except:
    2) I Install a psu when its linked up to the DVD or HDD caddy the computer wont start
    3) I install a new PSU - the system boots up for about 10 secs until I realise the cpu fan is not turning.
    4) Not to worry becuase the HDD caddy has burst into flames, oh and the HDD has been totally fried.

now I am pretty sure I have tracked the problem back to the caddy, and the rest of the stuff should work okay, but I am at the point when I have to throw another block of money at the system to buy a new HDD. Is it really worth buying a new HDD just to find on install that the cpu was fried when the fan didnt work, etc etc. I can post to the monitor yippie, theres no smoke anymore, the cpu is recorded as a 3.2 and the memory is 1/2 a gb of DDR2. But I am not sure what the chances are of my rig having survived all its tribulations

What do you think chance it or bin it?

Current [pre fire] spec:
    MSI PM8PM-V SKT775 AGP 6channel audio DDR2 mATX
    Intel Celeron D 352 (3.20GHz) Socket 775 FSB533 512kb Processor
    Crucial 1GB DDR2 533MHz / PC2- 4200 Unbuffered Non ECC

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

If it will post, you're part of the way there.... didn't we discuss the chance of some faulty wiring in the caddy or DVD a few days ago??? Hmmmm.... If I remember, you said the caddy OK ;) Anyway, chances are all your parts are OK. Celeron CPU's don't reach critical temps too quickly, so if you at least had the heat sink on it and you powered down in under 7-10 seconds, it should be OK. The only way to know for sure is to hook up a HD (hopefully an older used one, just in case) and install your OS and software, and see how the thing runs..... good luck my friend ;)

hd2k

Oh, today is Thursday, the 5th of July.... you're still a week away from the 13th, right????

3. rik_na

rik_na Sergeant

LOL yeah guilty, its FRIDAY the 6TH Horror horror. Wondered who was going to pick that up. I think I said the caddy and the DVD was tripping the power, making it not boot, but I'll admit the caddy bursting into flames did suprise me totally. Not least because I have 4 of these caddies, and all, including the one smoking in my bin worked fine.

Yeah I just dont have any old HD's left that means picking up a new HD, and if I shell out for a small HDD i'll only have to upgrade again, and if I get a large HDD, and the system is all flamed then its throwing good money after bad. Yeah I guess your right but I just cant lose the feeling that I will buy the new HDD plug it in and the cpu will be fried. But worth a final try.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds