should i partition my 40GB HD?

Discussion in 'Software' started by help, Dec 27, 2003.

1. help

help Corporal

i have 3gb left of space. i was thinking of partitioning it with partition magic 8.02, i have alot of stuff on my hd, games,software,ebooks,movies,music, etc.

what r the advantages and disadvantges?

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

3 gigs isnt a lot. Advantages and disavantages? Depends on what you want to do. If you want to partition off a section for backup or to install a different operating system, then go ahead. I cant think of too many other uses for additional partitions. Let us know if theres more to it then this.

3. help

help Corporal

none of that,i thight it would be a better way to organize my hd

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Partitioning is great when you want to remove your OS from all your dowloaded files.. so if at any stage your OS becomes FUBARED you can format and re-install without loosing all your downloads...

and example of my setup......

C: ( raid0 2x40g HDs ) OS & installed apps ... Office, Photoshop etc
    + F: partition for VM

3rd HD ( 80g )
    D: Downloads and drivers
    E: Music and Games

give us a quick idea of what if any partitions you have?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2003
  5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

also help with only 3gb left of your HD I would personally be thinking of getting a bigger HD or a 2nd HD and transfer all your downloads onto that drive and just keep the OS and install programs/games on the 1st.

3gb is not alot of space left and at some point when space gets less the OS may produce a "Low HD Space error" at a time when their is around 200mb ( afair ) of space left!

6. IVnktr

IVnktr Private E-2

You need to partition when you install mutible operating systems.

Partitioning is very useful, especially when somthing goes wrong with the OS and all the data is safe in another partition. It's saved me a lot of grief over the years.

Partitioning to orginize a drive can lead to problem because they never end up being the correct size, so you always end up resizing them.

A way to orginize a drive without partitioning is to use the subst command.

This allows you to assign drive letters to directories.

On my computer I have at the moment

h: for humour

i: for internet

k: for the kids

m: for MP3's

r: for resume

t: for temp

v: for videos

w: for work

all in one 120GB partition.

Since the drive letters are assigned to directories I can change them any time I like.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds