Should I rush to 7 or wait?

Discussion in 'Software' started by MicronBOMB, Oct 27, 2009.

1. MicronBOMB

MicronBOMB Private E-2

I recently purchased a netbook after much internal struggle. I carefully weighed the pros and cons of buying, should I wait for the newest windows (a highly anticipated and well-received OS) or should I give into the 8 year old inside me who just wants it now... Well needless to say the 8 year old won and I'm posting from my new netbook as we speak.

I still love good 'ol XP and the netbook runs really well and has surpassed my expectations (especially after I bumped up to 2 gb of ram). So my question is should I exercise my right to a 30 day exchange when the 7 netbooks come out or should I stick to my proven set-up which I am currently happy with? :confused

2. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

if youre happy with what you have, then stick with it... i dont think youll be "happier" with 7 than you are with xp in my opinion.

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Two years ago I would have said stick with XP. But for a brand new machine I think you should get the Win7. New software will be written for Win7 and driver updates will all be Win7 centered. I haven't seen any downside when switching to Win 7 and there are a few navigation improvements. The only reason I could see to stay with XP is if you had particular software that might be difficult to transition but usually this is only a business concern.

I can't say much about long term stability but since Win7 copies the whole installation disc to HD and keeps it there, any repair procedures should be relatively easier with no need for recovery console of third party discs.

I had no interest in Vista because everything was running fine on my XP but I have to say I like Win 7, don't notice any slowdowns and don't have any regrets on switching.

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I have to agree with sach2. XP, as good as it is, is outdated. Moving to W7 is real easy and you already have 2GB, which is just fine.

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

Sadly, I have to work/deal with XP every day at work. Though, I'm loving server 2008 R2. But, at home, I'm running 7.

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Win 7 certainly looks and feels good, but a bit of forethought is still advisable. I've been running the RC and Vista on my main PC, and it's just as well I tried the RC because I can't get the Vista drivers for my TV subsystem to work in 7.

I certainly wouldn't want to lose my TV, and as I love the PC (and Vista too), it could be a long wait.

7. augiedoggie

That's a rarity as there are not many drivers that need updating between Vista and 7. Hopefully your TV card maker will have updated drivers soon. Even so, since you love your machine and Vista then there's no point in going to 7 eh?:-D :cool

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

9. MicronBOMB

MicronBOMB Private E-2

At this point I think I will stick with XP. I don't like the thought of starter being on the machine (and I do believe you're right about that) plus I can't afford to invest another $80 for the upgrade software. I have played around with 7 a bit at work and though it is a very decent OS, I don't think it's worth the extra $80. Besides I think that XP compatibility will be a priority for software designers for at least a couple more years.

On a side note anyone else mildly frustrated with the fact zero netbooks were eligible for the free upgrade? I even looked at one with vista on it however it was basic edition and what do you know... not eligible.

10. cosanostra0905

cosanostra0905 Private E-2

I'm running XP, no problems at all. Win 7 seems great, but not gonna try right now. I remember when I upgraded my Microsoft office 2003 to 2007, I can't deal with the Excel at all. So kind of afraid of change.

11. Earthling

I must be really unlucky then Augie, because in addition to my TV problem above, I now find my Epson flatbed scanner has a problem too. Driver appears to install, but Devices and Scanners says it has a problem. Works fine in Vista.

12. Earthling

Take that back - scanner sorted :-o

Oh wow, I'm feeling like a really happily married bloke with lovely kids who has met a woman he just can't resist. I think I'd better unload the 7 RC and get back home to Vista before the inevitable happens :cry

13. augiedoggie

Meh, $80 for starter edition? Fahgeddabouditt! Ya, stick with XP.

14. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Whether you want to goto Windows 7 is a personal choice, upto you as you will get many pros and cons from folk like me that like and embrace the new and folk who dont like change.

But just a heads up on the ISOs be they Full retail or Upgrade versions of Windows 7 from the MS Store is that use this free tool to burn to a USB pen the installer files if you dont have a DVD drive in your netbook or laptop.

Personally, this is one of the more rounded Windows releases and is basically what Vista should have been but wasnt (although I didnt mind Vista as it was fine for me in the the 3yrs+ I used it) it adds new fuctionality that some may not like but I find that tasks are easier as no need to delve through multiple menus and sub menus, just use the search box, jumplist etc, search is much more quicker (a la Apple MAC) and the troubleshooters are a get addition.

If your PC can comfortably run Windows 7 and you have cash burning a hole in your pocket then jump at it, but if you are happy with XP then stick with XP for now. Also dont listen to those that may say wait for SP1, a at SP1 time they say wait for SP2!!!! this version of Windows is ready to run now and those that know, will remember XP had a torrid time for 6-12 months of its life!

15. theefool

theefool Geekified

People seem to always forget about that about XP. Though, I'm sure those who remember going from windows 98se to xp, sure remember.

16. zepper

zepper Corporal

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm going to be reinstalling XP on one of my drives sometime today - fedex is dragging its axles... However. if you're sure you'll be going to 7 sometime in the future, you can take advantage of any of the current deals on it and install it later.

.bh.

17. MicronBOMB

MicronBOMB Private E-2

Completely unrelated question is there a application that makes a linux usb install simple like this one does with 7? I tried to follow the steps from an online tutorial but I've never really used linux before and it wasn't working for me.

18. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Look for unetbootin and pendrive linux.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds