Should I Uninstall Anything From Device Manager Before Replacing Old Usb Card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by superstar, Mar 17, 2009.

1. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

I bought a new usb 2.0 pci card to replace an old one which was dying out on me [bad ports]. Well I wanted to know if I'm supposed to uninstall anything from the my DEVICE MANAGER list before I go ahead and physically uninstall the old card and put the new one in. If so what is it that I need to uninstall in device manager?

Thanks

2. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

UPDATE:

Here's a pic of what I've got in device manager. [Note: Don't pay attention to the detail with an "X" lol. That's unrelated to what I'm talking about. I have it disabled for a reason.]
    [​IMG]

3. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Super,

Do the same thing for Device Manager in Safe Mode and you will see all the drivers that have ever been loaded into your system even if the device is no longer connected. You don't really have to remove the older driver, but It's a good idea to remove all from Safe Mode that you no longer need. Make sure you know which ones are which.

Good Luck, Jim

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds