Show Wireless Icon on Taskbar - Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by axelbrora, Jul 15, 2010.

1. axelbrora

axelbrora Private E-2

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to show the wireless icon on the taskbar in Vista? I have the ethernet icon showing but not the wireless one.

Axel

2. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Don't have wireless right here, but I believe you right click on a blank area of the taskbar, select properties, notification area, then customize.

You will be given a list of what is enabled and items used in the past. If you double click, you'll be given a drop down selection to show.

And make sure network in checked on the main menu of the notification tab.

3. axelbrora

axelbrora Private E-2

Hi,

Thanks for that, however the network box is checked and the wireless connection does not show in the "current" or "past" list. Possibly as it has never been shown before. I also have nine icons showing in the notification area and only six are shown as "current". The power icon, network icon, and speaker icon are not listed as either "current" or "past".

Any further help would be appreciated.

Axel

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I am not in Vista at the moment, but I am in Windows 7, and I think it works the same.
    Worth a try-
    Click on that customise option, and then, click on turn system icons on and off, to bring up another part that shows other icons as well, and see if they are ticked to on.

5. axelbrora

axelbrora Private E-2

I do not have that option on the customise window. All I have is a button for "default settings" and the option to select each icon listed and change the status.

6. axelbrora

axelbrora Private E-2

Hi,

Further investigation in the Vista forum reveals that in Vista you cannot have two network icons, one for wired and one for wireless as you do in XP. One icon for all networks!

I have no idicator lights on my Dell Inspiron 1545 to tell me when my wireless is active and there is no indication within Vista. Are there any third party software widgits that can resolve this?

Axel

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds