Shrinking partition in Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by cr.Gena, Jul 23, 2007.

1. cr.Gena

cr.Gena Private First Class

Hi guys now I need your help

I've bought a new laptop with the Vista OS and there is only one C: partition on it (besides the hidden one). I still don't trust enough the Vista backup tool so i'm going to use True Image for it. Now i want to split my C partition into two parts, the first part will be for system informatiton, the second one - for my data. Then I will be able to image the system partition separately from the data partition.
    Now C: drive is 100GB
    But the problem is Vista doesn't allow to shrink C: lower than down to 70 GB. It says it's because of page file, system restore points, hybernation files, etc that are located in different points of the drive.
    Can I do smth in this situation to free at least 40-50 GB for second partition? Maybe any third-party software which is working under Vista and is able to manage it?

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

You can reduce the size of the restore file as that is set at default to %15 so you could probably reduce that to %5 saving you 10GB. I believe the swap file is set to %12 and you could reduce that as well but I'm not sure at what point your swap file becomes too small to be effective. HTH

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds