Shut-down requires end program sequence

Discussion in 'Software' started by kellyplus, Oct 21, 2008.

1. kellyplus

kellyplus Private E-2

When my wife attempts to turn off my her computer, she gets the message: "End Program -SMAX4PNP." Then it appears to be trying to close the program. After that, another similar message appears: "End Program -sprtcmd.exe." Again, it appears to be trying to close the program. However, it will say the program is not responding. She has to keep clicking "End Now" in order to get the system to turn off.

Her computer is a Dell Dimension 3000 Series
    Intel Pentium 4 processor,
    512MB DDR SDRAM
    80GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
    Windows XP Pro SP2

This computer is on a wired LAN thru my computer via a Linksys Network Ready NR401. We have a Bellsouth (now AT&T) Fast Access Hi speed internet connection with a Westell Wirespeed modem.

I have run a defragging program (recommended & downloaded from Majorgeeks), cCleaner, Spybot S&D. No infections were found. The defragger did speed things up a good bit.

I searched this forum for similar problems with no success. I did find one suggestion in a broader search that recommended uninstalling the Dell Support Center, but that seemed a bit drastic without a knowledgeable confirmation.

Any thoughts?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

You could initally try and update from the Dell Support website for your Model Dell the Audio and if available the Dell Support Center.

Before uninstalling I would advise seeing if those are the cause of this shutdown error, with many shutdown errors it "could" be caused by another application, so you can either do one or both of these steps,

1. Boot into Safe Mode and then shutdown (F8 at boot for entering Safe Mode)

2, Download and run StartupCPL and in the all of the tabs apart from Deleted and About check for mention of both of those file names

SMAX4PNP.exe is your Audio Soundcards control panel access via the System Tray
    sprtcmd.exe is the Dell Support Center

and untick them from the box, then reboot and once restarted shutdown, do you get these messages still?

Both in reality are not needed, the Soundmax Audio settings can easily be reached via the Control Panel and Dell Support Center I didnt find any use for it on the 5 PCs in my Office, so none have it now, but these are your choice to remove, but StartupCPL will nto remove them just disable them from starting with your PC.

3. kellyplus

kellyplus Private E-2

Halo,

Thank you for your suggestions. I was able to download from www.support.dell.com an upgrade for the Audio file which fixed that problem. No such luck with the Support Center...however a thread at this link http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_winxp&message.id=260363 on dell forums led me to delete Dell Support Center completely. Seems they did an upgrade on October 8, 2008 which has been the source of the problem with Sprtcmd.exe.

Now my problems are resolved and I thank you for your excellent suggestions and prompt reply. Majorgeeks is always there when needed, and your work is greatly appreciated, surely more than you know.

kellyplus

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Kellyplus

No problems glad to be able to help and aim you in right direction, cheers Majorgeeks are as you say always on hand to assist where we can as its a great bunch of volunteers who help all PC users.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds