Shutting Down while Playing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CreativeKnight, Oct 19, 2011.

1. CreativeKnight

CreativeKnight Private E-2

Hi! Good Day to all of you!

My PC shuts down without prior notice while playing PC Games, even Facebook Games.:banghead There is only one reason comes up on my mind when the problem occurs in my computer.

Overheat Issue:

First CPU Overheating
    [​IMG]
    Screenshot of PC Probe II.

It turns to 80-90 Degrees Celsius when playing games.

Second PSU Overheating

When i touch the PSU, it's surface is really hot.

My PC Specifications:

Processor: Pentium Dual Core E2200 @ 2.20Ghz
    MOB: ASUS P5VD2-VM SE
    RAM: 1.5GB
    PSU: ATX 500W P4
    Hard Disk: 160GB
    Graphics Card: Palit GT 220 1GB DDR2

I am not really what part should i replace, PSU or CPU Fan?

2. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Give everything a good clean first. Look at the CPU heatsink and make sure it is clear of dust. Re-apply thermal paste to the CPU and see how you go.

3. BoneXXX

BoneXXX Private E-2

Check your BIOS settings some mainboards have an option to turn the system off when it over heats. if you have OverClocked the system there are something wrong with your cooling or your rates. Check your CPU and RAM settings if they are what supposed to be and check the CPU's fan if it is running ok.

4. CreativeKnight

@Tueur - I'm done with the "cleaning session" and still having the same problem. Haven't tried the Thermal Paste yet.

@BoneXXX - I haven't overclocked the system since bought this stuff (2 years ago). Tweaking the BIOS will decrease the lifespan of your computer. Wrong Settings = Problem.

Thanks for your reply. ;)

5. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Hold a sheet of paper to the fan exhaust on the back of the PSU outside the case. It should be blowing out and it should blow the paper. My next suggestion is that the fan on your PSU has died so you have little air flow and your PSU is acting like an electric heater inside your case.

6. CreativeKnight

I didn't notice that! LOL You are right Tueur the fan at the back of PSU is not working.

Thanks a lot. ;)

7. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

No worries. You may be able to get a replacement fan but that would mean that you have to open up the PSU itself. Unless you are highly competent with electronics I wouldnt recomend this as you are dealing with mains power and some big capacitors which means that there could be considerable charge inside even after you have unplugged it. Additionally if you get something wrong a short could result in a fire which would not be good. Personally I would replace the PSU.

8. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

I can't ascertain whether the PSU even has a fan. I would also pop the side panel and run whatever activities......look at the internal "dust", etc.

I suggest that the HS is full of crud and needs a "thorough" clean out, including TIM refresh.

Your PC sounds like it is doing what it should be, shutting down at "critical temp thresholds". It wants you to manage this!

9. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Hi Bold Eagle, PC has already been cleaned. Every PSU I have everseen has a fan ans they kick out loads of heat which, if it isnt exhausted out the back of the PSU, will act as an electric heater and bake the internal components. My first thoughts were the same as yours though

10. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

You can find many HTPC PSU nowadays don't have fans to reduce noise and work fine.

Did you place your hand on the HS and give it a firm wriggle to ensure it was making a good solid contact?? I have had plastic pins "pop out" on cheap and nasty Intel HS.....lead to the frying of the CPU.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds