Shuttle K4500

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by biggy238, Sep 21, 2010.

1. biggy238

biggy238 Private E-2

A friend from work gave me a Shuttle K4500 mini pc that will not boot. When it attempts to boot windows, it will bring up the Safemode option screen, If boot normal, it resets instantaneously, if booted to safemode it will run through some of the scripts and then reset. I checked the voltages from the powersource as it seems like it drops out when it needs to spool up the HDD. They are all stable even when it restarts the cycle. Amperage unkown.
    At this point, what I told you about the piece is what I know.
    I pulled the western digital out and installed my own known good unit with the same results. I pulled out the 1gb ddr2 and reseated it. No change.

Novice/tinkerer so go easy on me please.

Thanks, Kyle

2. biggy238

biggy238 Private E-2

Must be tougher than I thought. I'm going to pull the (cmos) battery and see if I can change anything useful there.

3. biggy238

biggy238 Private E-2

O.K. I have more info now. Start screen reads as follows:
    I did have the HDD in before, and a keyboard. The CMOS checksum and CPU has changed have me stumped. It knows what the CPU is.

Is the DEL = setup Cmos setup? I told it to restore defaults and it made no change.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Change the CMOS battery. A dead or dying CMOS battery will show the checksum error at every bootup.

5. biggy238

biggy238 Private E-2

Progress!
    After the phoenix letter head

6. biggy238

biggy238 Private E-2

Well, I installed the HDD to the piece prvided from the factory (as opposed to my known functional drive)

The Windows XP bootscreen appears, and the bar runs for about 10 seconds before the system resets.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds