<sigh> Old problem, new cause

Discussion in 'Software' started by jimpeel, Jun 7, 2012.

1. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

I covered this in this thread http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=240755 and thought the problem was solved. I thought at that time the problem was Spybot. Now I have the same problem and Spybot is not on my system.

The latest happened after a Microsoft XP update and because I recently had a problem with a virus (SOLVED) there was no System Restore point to get the desktop back to its previous state as I had before.

I do not have the ability to create new shortcuts. That function has disappeared just as it did in the past. When I do try to create a shortcut it wants to know what site I want to link to and gives me a predetermined list of links -- most of which link to Microsoft functions. If I type in a link, such as http://www.refdesk.com is says it cannot find it. It will allow me to select a link which is already on the computer as a saved link but not a link from the actual favorites page.

This is truly frustrating. I am happy that I only had a few links that I had created but my ability to link to them is gone.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

j

2. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Well in your other thread you said you put Spybot back on in the last 2 or 3 posting.

Well how did you remove spybotI have good ways of completely removing items in xp.

3. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

Actually, I needed it for a scan and after I found out -- or at least thought I found out -- it was the problem I deleted it, and purged it from the registry.

4. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Well make sure you do a windows file search for any files left over.

5. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

This may solve the problem. Go here. Download the LNK (Shortcut) File Association Fix . Unzip to the desktop in an admin account. Double click the reg file.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Jim

What security applications do you have on your PC now and which ones are running at startup, can easily give us a list of them by running the below steps.

Do you remember the malware issue/name you had cleared?

tgell's link to Doug Knox's registry fix for this should restore that functionality, as Doug's XP registry fixes have been doing for many years now, but do keep a note of what new apps or Windows Updates you add to your PC and if an issue like this appears in that timeframe.

7. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

The startup files for Windows and IE are attached. I don't use IE very often except when I am doing something proprietary like a Microsoft file which rejects all other browsers. I attached it anyway just in case.

I only use Avira on startup. I use RegScrubXP, CCleaner, MalwareBytes, and SuperAntiSpyware occasionally as cleanup software. I run them manually in that order every time.

I used to run RegScrubXP, CCleaner, SpyBot, MalwareBytes, and SuperAntiSpyware in that order.

The issue I had when I used the program was just due to suspicion I had some spyware. It found several cookies, etc but nothing significant as I recall. I then uninstalled it.

Attached Files:

8. tgell

Did you try the shortcut fix I linked to?

9. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

That I did, and it didn't work. Nothing changed.

I performed the task, rebooted the machine, and tried to create a shortcut. Same result.

I then rebooted into safe mode as that is the only way I can get to the administrator account that is actually names "Administrator." I am set up as an admin but just to cover all of the bases I tried this also. Same result.

When I right click on the desktop and choose new>shortcut it creates an icon where I right clicked and opens a dialogue box where I then type in the address of the webpage to which I am trying to make a shortcut. It returns "The file <address> cannot be found."

When I start typing, it puts up a selection listing of various things like "file:///H:/Bittorrent/Doomsday_Gun.avi" which is a file on my computer. Depending on what the first letter is that I type determines the list that is returned. In this case, I am trying to type http://www.majorgeeks.com and it assumes that I am trying to link to a file on the H: drive. It does not, however allow me to type an internet address as it has always done before.

10. tgell

Since what you described is normal for creating a custom shortcut, I believe you have bigger issues going on, especially after reading your post on your difficulty getting on to Mapquest.

Try resetting IE as default as shown.

http://www.winxptutor.com/iedefault.htm

11. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

Would a non-destructive system recovery perhaps be in order?

12. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

As much as I hate to say "Press the 'EASY' button"...

Sometimes the best thing you can do in life is start over.

:major

13. tgell

If by non-destruction system recovery you mean system restore, I would try that first. Go to a date just before the problem. If that did not work, I would try scanning the system files using sfc /scannow at a command prompt. You may be prompted to use your install CD and it must be the same service pack as what is on the computer.

If that did not work, then I would use the repair install option of XP which to me is a non-destructive system recovery. You will also need an install CD with the same SP as what is currently on the computer.

Some OEM's give the option to do a non-destructive system recovery using the recovery partition on the hard drive and that is another option.

Whatever option you choose, it is always a good idea to backup any important data first.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds