*sigh* someone please help the blond

Discussion in 'Software' started by zippythesqurl, Jul 26, 2003.

1. zippythesqurl

zippythesqurl Private E-2

Hi, I'm new here. Name's Leila, and I have very limited knowledge of computers. To be frank, I've been retarded.
    I have been downloading variouse things with out back up files (doh) or virus detection because funding is low (DOH).
    Well, I installed Kazaa Lite and that lovely website suggested adAware, and that led me to here.
    The thought that there would be a free virus scan on the internet never crossed my mind, but here I was, and there were some free virus scans. So I got one, and began scanning, and I have a lot of files that can't be helped and need to be deleted. Some of them are crucial files.
    So, my question is, what should I do since I have no back ups?
    And sorry for the novel.

2. zippythesqurl

*sigh* Please help the blonde

Hi, I'm new here. Name's Leila, and I have very limited knowledge of computers. To be frank, I've been retarded.
    I have been downloading variouse things with out back up files (doh) or virus detection because funding is low (DOH).
    Well, I installed Kazaa Lite and that lovely website suggested adAware, and that led me to here.
    The thought that there would be a free virus scan on the internet never crossed my mind, but here I was, and there were some free virus scans. So I got one, and began scanning, and I have a lot of files that can't be helped and need to be deleted. Some of them are crucial files.
    So, my question is, what should I do since I have no back ups?
    And sorry for the novel.

3. zippythesqurl

And sorry about the double post in different forums. I

4. Brian C

Brian C Private Peanut Gallery

Have you tried the TrendMico scan? It can repair most infected files as well.
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
    If you HAVE tried TrendMicro and it didn't do the trick, how many files are we talking about here?
    P.S. Welcome to the board Leila. Here you will learn much !! Things such as..........You can get FREE Anti-virus programs, and firewall programs on the internet. Hopefully we can help you out here, and get you stopping by often. You'll learn a ton, just reading thru all the postings here.
    Brian

5. zippythesqurl

Thanks for the welcome!
    I'm using Windows 2000 (thanks for putting it in laymans terms).
    And I downloaded AntiVir version 6.

Another problem, when I open the adaware manuel I can't see the text

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Helloooo Leila

First off which operating system are you using? as with most windows versions you can do a repair install if a system file has to be deleted.

Which files does your AV scan tell you need deleting?

a few links to good security programs and free too......

Zone Alarm Free ( Firewall )
    AVG Free ( Anti Virus )

7. zippythesqurl

Okay so most of the files are .exe, and infected with worms. Does this mean anything? Is it alright to delet them?

8. zippythesqurl

This is probably a stupid question, but when the files come up with a virus detected, you don't delet the file, just the bug?

9. zippythesqurl

Well, I mean the program doesn't delete the actual file, just the bug in the file?

10. Brian C

Zippy. Some, but not all Anti-Virus programs give you the option to "repair" the file. But if the only option is "delete", it will delete the whole file. If the files are located in a "temp" folder, they can be deleted. If however, a worm has infected a Windows file, the file would need to be replaced. So............We need to know, how many files are we talking about that are infected, and in what folder(s), are they located in.

11. zippythesqurl

It was about 80 files, and most of them were in my systems programs. I think I'll just not worry about it, I'm getting a new ,much needed computer. *pats her dinosaur*

12. Brian C

Ok Zippy. Lets make sure we put an anti-virus program in the new one...............shall we? :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds