signal over range using hdmi to dvi from bluray player

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alex60, Jul 18, 2011.

1. alex60

alex60 Private E-2

Hello guys I have a little problem with my hdmi to dvi cable hooking it up to my monitor. the monitor is a gnr 19inch and it’s a few years old now but I’ve got my pc connected via a dvi to vga cable from my graphics card to the vga port on the monitor but I’ve also connected my sony bdp 370 bluray player to the monitors dvi port using a hdmi to dvi cable. Unfortunetly I get a signal over range message on screen. I’ve tried adjusting screen resolution in safe mode and changing refresh rate but no luck. I know my monitor is not hdcp and the blu ray player is pretty new so I’m wondering whether I’ll need to get a newer monitor that is hdcp compatible. This is the first time I’ve tried connecting via hdmi from my bluray. Any help and advice would be really appreciated
    cheers :)

2. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

I suspect you have hit the nail on the head with HDCP.

When you say you have tried changing the resolution and refresh rate how did you do this?

3. alex60

alex60 Private E-2

thanks for the reply Tueur. yep i changed monitor refresh rate by going into safe mode r clicking desktop and selecting properties changed the resolution then settings and advanced. from there i selected monitor and changed refresh rate. can't think of anything else i can do as out of range message are almost always to do with monitor settings not being able to read attached devices
    although i may be wrong. maybe it's time for a new monitor.
    cheers:)

4. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

changing the refresh rate by changing it on your pc doesnt actually change anything on the monitor. it only changes the resolution that the pcs gpu outputs the image at. the monitor picks up the signal and and maps it to its screen size. therefor changing the reolution on the pc will have no effect when you plug your blue ray player in. i dont think you will find many computer monitors that you will be able to plug a domestic blue ray player into.

5. alex60

alex60 Private E-2

Thanks for the info. I know more modern monitors can handle hdmi via bluray as I had a Samsung p2450 24inch monitor a few months back which was ok playing from a bluray player unfortunetly I had to return it because it suffered excessive backlight and light leakage problems which was disappointing. That’s the reason I’m using my old gnr monitor. I think I’ll just have to empty my piggy bank and invest in a new monitor that can handle hdmi. Thanks again for your help Tueur
    cheers:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds