Silent Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by omni54, Feb 15, 2012.

1. omni54

omni54 Private E-2

I like the idea of a silent graphics card and this looks good - PowerColor ATI Fanless HD6850. Do you know if it will work with my Asus p5n-e sli motherboard.

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I have not heard of a silent graphic card before, I never hear mine. Since you have a processer fan, 1-2 case fans and possibly more the small graphic fan should not be a noise issue. Is yours making noise?

So, IMHO you should get the video card you want for your needs and I don't feel the fan is an issue.

As for your motherboard:
    It's mostly about the video slot on your board. As long as you have the slot AND the correct power supply then you are good to go. Thanks to the fanless thing, the trade off here is a stupid sized heatsink so you will need to make there the slots next to it are empty. I mean, this is silly ridiculous looking:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fanless-graphics-card-scs3-hd6850,2990.html

To each his own but fanless technology seems a bit early to me just in size alone.

3. omni54

omni54 Private E-2

Thanks for the reply and I should have said my cpu is already fanless and just has a huge copper heat sink on it. I am trying to make a quiet PC and my current graphics card is a GTX 295 and it is starting to get very loud when its pushed.

I have a case with lots of room and good quiet fans in giving reasonable airflow so I was thinking the next step would be fanless GPU like this one

http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/ENGTS450_DC_SLDI1GD3/#overview

I know its not as good but if I run two in sli I’m hoping to get somewhere near the performance of the 295.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

As mentioned, you can have a case the size of a house but you still have everything bolting onto a small motherboard. Make sure all the heatsinks clear each other (my biggest concern) and comfortably. When your board was made no one considered a couple of 3 inch heatsinks in the design, I assume. Imaging what happens if your CPU and Video card heat sinks almost touch! You beeter have a good fan pulling that heat out. PErsonally, I wouldn't take the chance unless you are sure :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds