Silent Hill:Homecoming problem Windows 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by Adil, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Adil

Adil Private E-2

Hi, i am facing the same issue. I have a Dell Studio XPS with ATI Radeon HD5730. DirectX 11, windows 7.
    any help will be great!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Moved your post to its own thread as the Windows versions are different and can add up to different fixes that that 2009 thread.

What version of Windows 7 is it 32bit or 64bit?

What type of issue do you have is it the same graphical issuse the other user was having in black faces on some of the characters and graphic glitches in Game?

Does the game run ok apart from the graphics or does it crash?

Have you installed the latest graphics driver for your HD5730 card?
    Have you install the Directx9c files as some of the d3d ones are needed by older games to enable them to run ok in the likes of Vista and Win7, the Directx9c files are HERE and reboot after install.

You could if the game still doesnt work ok run it in compatibility mode for XP Sp3 by right clicking the shortcut to the game and then the compatibility tab and choosing XP SP3 and also Run as Administrator and see if those options work.

3. Adil

Adil Private E-2

Hi,

Its a Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit OS

The same issue like the earlier guy was having, the game runs great on full HD resolution, no lag or hangs, just the black face or sometimes (when i turn on the flash light in the game) the oponent turns to black (absent texture and color).

At first i reduced the graphics quality from high to medium, it fixed the black face issue, but the other issue of oponent having no texture or turning into black still remains.. its strange..

according to a driver detective app .. the gfx card drivers r updated... but am not sure..

just trying the directx fix u told... lets see.

4. Adil

Adil Private E-2

Hi, Just to update, it didnt fixed the issue, i installed the directx files but still the graphics glitch is there..

5. DavidGP

Hi

Those driver detective apps IMHO are not worth using, always best to goto the original maker of the device, and in your case AMD/ATi

The lastest driver for your card is HERE (top driver named Catalyst Software Suite from 04/27/2011)

Is the game fully patched with all updates, sadly Konami's support site is poor for support updates but I did find a gamers site that has patches for the various games and issues with GFX and the newer DirectX versions HERE (there is a Silent Hill Homecoming one V11) and I did download it and virus scan it, nothing found report HERE, but up to you if you wish to use it and full instruction on what to do is in the readme.

6. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

7. DavidGP

Fair option and quick question, as may help the OP also, would you likely then also do a full uninstall using the likes of DriverSweeper of all Ati graphic drivers first before re-installing the slim set? Would be my route, but I dont use Ati these days.

8. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Like you David, I'm not a lover or user of the driver uninstaller 3rd party stuff, I used to reset the graphics driver back to standard VGA then uninstall all ATI/nVidia/whatever graphics drivers, reboot and either point Windows DevMan to the extracted drivers or run the installer.

This glitch sounds like it could be a programming tweak that might only affect 'lower end/crippled' cards because the maker has cut extra corners than the ATI/nVidia default cards that it's based on. I'd be looking to find specific differences between the 5730 and 5750 cards then digging around there. It might be possible to flash the cards BIOS to a higher model to disable any firmware crippling - this won't work if the hardware's been doctored by the makers though as there may be missing components/connections compared to the default card.

9. DavidGP

Hi

Yeah that would be the best route in re-installing the drivers.

I agree it seems to be a programming issue and I downloaded the patch from that gamer site I posted earlier and read through the text, it seems indeed to be an issues with this game and Dx10 and DX11 and the game shaders used an that looks as if the game creators have just not updated.

10. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Just jumping in here with a snippet of info, SH:Homecomming is possibly one of the most glitched out games in history. They never fixed anything from the original release.
    Problems range from the above, to CTD's, freezes, Save game corruption and a whole host of other problems.

My advice for this as I had some experience with some of it's glitches , is to not fiddle too much with your PC, it might just be the game.

I couldn't save after I got out of the hospital and no matter what I searched and tried it simply wouldn't work, so I gave up.
    (this is extremely rare for me)
    Sometimes it's just the game, like I said, try fixing it but don't go too far, you may end up messing up other stuff.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds