simple macro

Discussion in 'Software' started by stiched, Jan 10, 2006.

1. stiched

stiched Private First Class

i am looking to gather information about making macros. i know nothing about macros and i would like a simple explaination of what they do, how they are used, what they are used for, how they are programmed. any information can be useful. i have to do a speech on macros and i dont have the faintest idea what they are or topics i could talk about. plz help me asap thanks

i have tried to google it but im not a geek, which is the very reason i came here :D

2. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

What kind of macros? MS Office?

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

4. stiched

a simple explaination that is not copied from a webpage would be nice?

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I could re-write it, but what's the point?

6. stiched

ok ok. fair enough, i know that macros are used in programming, but wht are their uses. obviously their used to carry out repeated tasks automatically but whats sort of tasks? any examples would be appreciated
    thankz

7. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

think of them as a layer of commands that sits above programming code. For instance, when I'm developing something in Visual Studio.NET , I can attach my debugger to an Internet Explorer Process but in order to do that, I have to click on the menu, select tools, attach to process and then select the process. If I record the macro, it will perform those steps for me and place those commands in a macro script which I invoke by clicking on a button. Now, I've assigned this button to run the macro so that's how it knows. The next time I want to attache my debugger to IE, I just click the button.

That's a basic example. So you can think of macro's as a shortcut to perform multiple events in one single action.

8. stiched

thanks, but would you ever use a macro to help build the programs your making? and whats sort of things would you use it for, creating loops? arrays?

also when else would you use a macro? apart from gaming, text processing and programming? or is that it?

u have been extreemly helpful so far. thankz

9. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

here ...In Microsoft Word and other programs, a macro is a saved sequence of commands or keyboard strokes that can be stored and then recalled with a single command or keyboard stroke.

So a 'shortcut' - say you always load IE and Outlook - why not make a single key do that? ie a macro...

Interested in making your own: http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/MacroMaker/macromaker.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds