Simple Power Supply Question, Help Please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Terminator_SRT4, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Terminator_SRT4

Terminator_SRT4 Private E-2

Well my 300w power supply that came with the computer obviosuly has to upgraded in order to run an ati 1900 or nvdia 7900 series graphics card. I want at least a 500w power supply that isn't too much money. I hear that amps is the biggest thing so I've only been looking for PSUs that have at least 25a at 12v. My computer has 1 ATA hard drive, 1 CD/DVD rom, an athlon X2 3800 CPU, and 1 gig of RAM. So I have 2 questions:

1. What would the best power PSU for my setup be? I don't intend to get another hard drive or CD rom but do what to eventually get more ram and possibly upgrade my CPU.

2. How do I connect the graphics card to the PSU? I'm still looking over different graphics cards so I can decide which one to get, and all of the high end cards need to connect to the PSU. There are a few PSUs that come with pci-e 6 pin connectors. But for the ones that don't come with that...can I still connect the card to it? All of the PSUs say that come with a sertain amoutn of peripherals...is that where you connect it to? Because I know most of the cards come with adaptors that on one end have a 6 pin connection (for the card itself) and at the other end it turns into a clear connection with I believe 4 pins, where do you hook that into?

Thanks for the help in advance, I just want to get a good gaming system to run flight simulator X on really good settings.

2. Shotgun_Shortz

Shotgun_Shortz Corporal

Well, I would say around 450-500 watts would be best but the highest possible for your budget would be best. I would go with a 12v but thats jsut me. It should be enough to supply your system with the needed power.

3. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Without giving your address where is your home turf. I buy PS in Dallas for around $15. They are generic, but I haven't had any problems with them, after around 20 or so over the years for friends and family. I notice Staples is even carrying them, at a higher cost (around $60).

4. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds