simple question about wordpad, maybe too simple

Discussion in 'Software' started by claymore_mo, Nov 5, 2007.

1. claymore_mo

claymore_mo Private E-2

I was typing out a song, in wordpad, that I had written, which included letters above each line to show which chord was to be played at which time. I went to print the document and the printed page has the spacing for the chords off. I noticed this happened if you used either a different font or different size for the verse and the chords. To give you an exampe:

A--------C--------D
    blah blah blah blah blah

would become:

A---------------C-----------D
    blah blah blah blah blah

Obviously the simple fix is to use one font and size for the whole document, but out of curiousity, why is this happening? I played around with it a lot, and was always getting a printed page that had significantly different spacing that what was being shown on the screen, including print preview. I'm sure this is really simple for somebody, but I am not familiar with why it is happening.

P.S. I had to include the hyphens to illustrate my point because this wasn't handling the space issue well either.

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

Wordpad doesn't have very advanced formatting options in its code. its a small step above notepad, which has only basic formatting (spacing) as a simple text editor. Different fonts have slightly different character spacing. since Wordpad is a pretty basic text editor, it doesn't have character spacing formatting in its code, and spacing is read from the font alone.

When simple text without much formatting is sent to the printer, the printer reads the font and outputs the spacing based on the font.

simply put, both the printer and wordpad interpret the font spacing differently.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds