Simple Question(s)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DrumGuy, Dec 5, 2005.

1. DrumGuy

DrumGuy Private E-2

I have a bad hard drive (constantly re-boots machine, tested in another and does the same) and was curious if it's still possible to transfer (ghost, if you will) the info to another drive without complications? There is some valuable info on this drive that I need to recover and figured this was the best and most inexpensive way to go about it. Also, if transferring IS possible can it be done to an unformatted drive or would if have to be done to a drive with a matching O.S.?

I'm assuming it's the mechanics of the drive causing the problem however if anyone has any further imput I would be greatly appreciative.

Mucho thanks.

2. funky munky

funky munky Staff Sergeant

3. Runner789

Runner789 Private E-2

I would be afraid of "moving" the problem to the new drive by ghosting. Set as a slave and pull the data.
    It might not be a bad hard drive, but a virus or malware or registry issue that could possibly be fixed.
    Anyways, try to save the data first, repair drive/OS, or clean install.

4. MBlock

MBlock Private E-2

I agree with everything that's been said... have you tried to run CHKDSK or any other utilities to check for actual disk problems instead of possible malware or spyware of some kind? But if your certain it's the mechanics of the disk or something beyond the software level and your done with the disk I would get your new Hard drive... pop it in the computer and install windows on it and then hook up the bad drive as a slave that way no boot sectors are accessed and you can have access to all your files and pull whatever you want off of it.

I just wonder if since you say that the disk reboots if you have a corrupt boot sector.. in which case a windows repair install would fix (or should)

5. DrumGuy

DrumGuy Private E-2

I haven't been able to boot-up to do any type of normal checks whatsoever. I WILL however take the advice of setting it as a slave and see what I can do there. (I can't believe I didn't think of doing that in the first place [​IMG] )

Much thanks to everyone for the suggestion. [​IMG]

6. funky munky

funky munky Staff Sergeant

No probs.
    The simplist thing is often the last thing you think of.

7. DrumGuy

DrumGuy Private E-2

Re: Simple Question(s) NOW MAJOR PROBLEM!!!!

Ok, after setting up the bad drive I can't even power up.

I set the bad drive as a slave and was unable to power up my back-up machine. I disconnected the drive and I am still not able to power up whatsoever. It's as if the power cord is disconnected. (Yes, it IS connected) I checked all the obvious possibilities and I am completely unable to turn the damn thing on. This machine was just reformatted and worked PERFECTLY a day ago.

Now I'm desperate!!!!

8. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Does your Bios detect and display the "good" drive?

9. DrumGuy

DrumGuy Private E-2

When my back-up machine was working, yes it did. It wasn't until I slaved the bad drive that the machine stop working completely. Coincidence perhaps but the thing was working fine yesterday. I set the bad drive as a slave and now NOTHING works. It's as if there's no power supply attached at all. I have tried different power cords and still nothing. Common sense would say it's the power supply but I doubt it and don't have another to swap out to try.

If the board or "good" drive suddenly went bad is this a symptom? (no power at all)

I have done ALL the basics yet the damn thing won't power up at all.

10. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

All I can suggest is you double-check all the wiring.

Sorry, but I can't really offer much more without having it in front of me.

11. Runner789

Runner789 Private E-2

As already said "All I can suggest is you double-check all the wiring."
    Something is loose or got pulled out. Check the header socket that has the wires for the switch, etc.

12. MBlock

MBlock Private E-2

Yeah not to sound like a broken record... but when you pulled your Hard drive out to change to slave did you accedentally pull either of the two power cables that connect from the power supply to the motherboard? or to the hard drive?

If all that's connected... when you push the power button do ANY fans turn on... like even the fans in the power supply... I am assuming nothing comes on screen based on your comments of there's NO power.

13. DrumGuy

DrumGuy Private E-2

First off...

Much thanks to everyone who has replied.

Yes, I've checked every wire and connection. Everything is as it's supposed to be.

And yes, there is NO power whatsoever. No fans, no board lights, no screen.

This has become frustrating as I was building this machine for a disadvantaged child and I promised it would be there for Xmas morning. Presently I cannot afford to start buying components just to test what the problem could be.
    I'm extremely confident the power supply is fine yet haven't totally ruled it out. (for obvious reasons)

14. MBlock

MBlock Private E-2

Hmmmm... well just bear with my on any of my suggestions... I know some may seem totally blatently obvious but I really don't have much of a clue other than to just start suggesting things that come to mind so:

Is there any sort of power switch on the back of the power supply that may have gotten bumped (some power supplies actually have an on/off switch on the back of them.

If your really confident the power supply's not the problem maybe there's a problem in the contact between the power button and it's contact to send the signal to the mobo... so maybe if you started tinkering around your power button (which depending on the case could be real easy or real hard but DEFINATLY worth a try)

It bothers me that not even the power supply fans come on... and that's what makes me think that it's either the power supply going bad or the power button on the case just isn't making the contact to turn it on.... because I just don't see how the problem could be anywhere else :rolleyes: So... I mean I'll keep thinking... and keep trying things like this and just finding every possible button switch and contact that is directly related to the power supply... because clearly.. the power supply is either not getting told it's time to turn on... or it's dead... that's really all I see... but I very well could be overlooking some obvious detail as always happens with any computer problem :p

15. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Is there a slider switch to change voltages on the back of the PSU that maybe is slightly off the 110/115 setting?

16. DrumGuy

DrumGuy Private E-2

OK, where to start....

There is no power switch on the supply itself that I could see.

I have toyed with the power switch itself along with the harness attached to it and any other related connections including those attached to the board.

Lastly, the voltage switch on the back of the supply hasn't changed. I even switched between the voltages just for the hell of it and still nada.

Now granted, I know that with electronics ANYTHING is possible but I've never seen anything like this OTHER than bad power supplys which is why I haven't completly ruled it out.

Gonna dive back into it again and hope for the best.

Thanks to all for your help and please, keep the suggestions coming.

17. DrumGuy

DrumGuy Private E-2

Here's a bit of technical info for those better than myself with power supplies....

With the supply PLUGGED IN I connected a multimeter to a power connector (ie: connector to H/D, CD Rom, etc) and came away with the following readings. Now I wasn't sure what setting to use so....I tried them all......

Set to DCV:

@2V = .550 @20V = 0.55 @200V = 00.6 and @500V = 001

Set to DCA:

@2mA = 0L @ 20mA = 4.86 @200mA = 05.3

Normally I know to test the connector to the board but I was a wee bit hesitant to pull anything off of there if it's not necessary.

It is a Powertech Switching Supply (200 Watt Max/ Model WK.6200DL31N1)

If someone knows what the proper readings would be for the power-on switch itself I would be will to try that as well.

Any further info can be provided upon request.

Again, thanks to everyone for the help

18. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I'm guessing these are the settings on your multimeter?Firstly never test the amps directly from a power supply the multimeter will draw as much current as possible from your psu and kill either the multimeter or psu

You need your multimeter set to 20v DC as I think you have done in your first test,it looks as though you have connected the multimeter to the psu without turning it on this would explain the low voltage readings,to turn on the psu,first get a paperclip and fold into a U shape unhook the mainboard jack take it in hand and locate the pin that has a green wire connected to it and ANY that has a black wire connected to it,put one end in the former and one in the latter,the psu should fire up and the fan start spinning you will have to leave this in while your testing,this just tricks the psu into thinking its connected a mainboard and has been turned on

If the psu fires up theres a pretty good chance its fine

:)

19. DrumGuy

DrumGuy Private E-2

Rikky
    I wasn't able to turn on the psu as that seems to be the main problem so far. I also figured that not having the psu "on" would show low voltage readings. I guess my question should have been "what should the readings be providing I have/had a working psu and as I've stated earlier the main problem I'm having is a total and complete loss of power. If you're suggesting that jumping the connecter is a valid way to test the psu I'll try that. I was also thinking that it could be a board problem and NOT a psu problem hence my coming here for suggestions.

Thanks for your reply

20. Rikky

Its the only way to test the psu without buying a psu tester and safe!These are the readings you should get-

Edit-you need the negative probe in any black pin and the the positive in the respective power pin :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  21. DrumGuy

DrumGuy Private E-2

Rikki,

I tested as you suggested by jumping the mainboard connector and all I got was the slightest movement from the fan. Common sense dictates the psu is bad. Do you concur?

I DID test the psu with it plugged in.

22. DrumGuy

DrumGuy Private E-2

Bump

23. Rikky

Funny I was just gonna ask was it plugged in,check the mains cable your using, swap it out if possible and check the fuse in plug first :)

24. DrumGuy

DrumGuy Private E-2

If you mean the power cable to the psu, I have already done that with the same results.
    Also, there is no fuse located within the cable itself.
    I have used the cable directly into the wall as well as into a power strip.

25. Rikky

Are you using an american or UK plug?

26. DrumGuy

DrumGuy Private E-2

American as I am in the U.S.

27. Rikky

Looks like your psu is dead then,do you have it switched on on the back of the psu and the voltage set to 110

28. DrumGuy

DrumGuy Private E-2

I believe it was originally set to 115

29. DrumGuy

DrumGuy Private E-2

Also, there is not a power switch located on the psu itself. The power switch is located on the front of the tower.

30. Rikky

Some dont have them,try bridging the green pin to a different black pin

31. DrumGuy

DrumGuy Private E-2

I tried it with a few different black pins all with the same result. The fan would move a tiny bit and that was it.

32. Rikky

It certainly looks as though its dead,it could have an extremely sensitive power good sensor that is stopping the power supply from firing up but it will be the first I have seen one so sensitive,last thing to try IMO is hook it back up to your computer,dont connect any harddrives,cdroms just the mainboard connector and atx 12v if your board has one,instead of using the power switch on the mainboard unplug it and bridge the pins it was connected to with a negative screwdriver see if we can get lucky :)

If not new psu time me thinks

33. DrumGuy

DrumGuy Private E-2

I'm more than apt to believe it's the psu at this point as well but I will try that also.
    I will get back to you after the weekend with my results and much thanks will all your assistance.

34. Rikky

No problem at all I just hope you get it fixed :)

Edit- MY sujjestion to try it connected to the mobo is to rule out the power good signal voltage being sent to the psu as the mobo will send one and you will also rule the case power switch by jumping the pins

35. DrumGuy

DrumGuy Private E-2

I figured as much. Again, your suggestion is one of the simple things I overlooked.

36. Runner789

Runner789 Private E-2

Sorry I have reiterated some stuff, I wanted to get all the info proper, but it took a while to write and others posted prior to this.

It really does look like you have a bad power supply.
    1. You changed power cables from the wall to the supply.
    2. There are no fuses.
    3. The voltage selector is set for 115vac (this is for USA). Usual choices are 115/230vac.
    4. You tested the supply by putting a paper clip from the green wire to any black wire. Then you plugged the power cord into the wall. The fan only gave a slight movement, but did not continue to turn. This tests the power supply for turning on only. (If the fan continued to run, then you could test for voltage on any power connector that went to the FDD/ HDD/ CD etc).

I assume you disconnected all other power cables going to the FDD/HDD/CD/ etc. If you did then the supply is definitely bad. If you did not, then do so and try this test again. We want ONLY the supply. (This eliminates a bad component pulling down the power).

FOR SAFETY: Unplug power cord. Jumper wire between green and any black. Plug in power cord.

The supply you have is only 200 watt. Very Very low. Ok for 95/ 98 OS, but not for 2000/ XP.

37. DrumGuy

DrumGuy Private E-2

Runner, all of your assumptions are correct. I removed the supply completely from the case to do the jumper test. And yes, I did the jumper test with the cord unpluged prior to testing. Yes, this is a 200w power supply as it is in an older machine (Gateway 2000, vintage 98 or 99) which just happens to be running Win98ME. My next adventure, providing I DO have a bad supply, will be trying to find a replacement unit under $100.00. yea, good luck to me.

38. Runner789

Runner789 Private E-2

You should be able to get one in the $50-60.00 range. I use anything above 450 watts.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds