Simple Questions Arising From File Deletion Issues

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dumb_Question, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

I came across a thread in the MG hardware forum about erasing a hard disk. Not wanting to hijack or resurrect that thread has led me to this, to question some things

I've been looking on the internet, and this has told me that

A Quick Format erases only the File Allocation Table of a disk (which is what I had always believed), but left the actual data intact.

A Full Format does what, precisely ? I have read that it is simply a Quick Format with a chkdsk , but I suspect that it is actually more than this. The Microsoft article I found on this was with reference only to installing operating systems. Can anyone direct me to a good, reliable article on this ?

In the MG article I was reading, it was apparent that CCleaner (which I have) had a good routine for permanently erasing all disk files so that reading them was impossible. For individual files I have come across a program called Sdelete by Sysinternals (Microsoft). Both of these offer the facility for "multiple passes". If you have a program that writes 0s to every location so that when read you get 0s back every time, why is there any need for "multiple passes" :confused

With reference to this post, I am Windows XP Home/SP3

Dumb_Question
    11.February.2014

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds