Simple Switch of Wireless to Wired, and Vice-Versa??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grc123, Sep 12, 2011.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

I am dreading this for whatever reason(s), so I HOPE someone (someone HERE) will stick with me this evening, if we decide proceed...(?).

I would like to (need to) change my two (2)-PC network's set-up/standing.

One machine (an "older" Dell, with XP Basic/Home & SP3), and a "newer" Dell (with Vista Basic/Home & SP2).

Currently, the XP machine is wired directly to (or "from") a Belkin Router, and the Vista machine is networked ("connected", in a another room), wirelessly.

I need to connect the Vista machine to the router, and then set-up/hook-up ("connect") the XP machine in another room/floor - same house).

I suppose the only reason I don't make them (or already have them) both set-up as "wireless" connections, is that I only have one (1) "NIC" (dongle?).

This "should" be VERY simple, for "ME", correct, please?

Is anyone willing to walk me through it, please?

Thanks very much in advance,
    Glenn . . .

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

You are fine with your set up already. If you want both wired, just run some ethernet. If you want both wireless, buy another card or usb dongle.

3. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thank you for the reply, and I apologize for not being clear...

I "need to" ("must", "have to", etc.) change things as I mentioned.

One machine is mine, and the other is another member of the household...they (the machines) are both on the 2nd floor, and the XP machine must be put down on the lower floor, for the other person................

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Again, simple solution. You have everything you need. Is the machine staying upstairs have a NIC (ethernet card) in it?

5. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Yes sir, I believe so...in any event - it must have a NIC in it (I suppose) - this little "network" has been working for a couple years now, as currently configured/set-up.

With all due Respect, you say "simple", and I am sure it is - for yourself.

However, I'm here asking for help as it is "not" so simple - to/for me.

I'm sure it would be more simple (for me), if I were matching the same OS's. But as I am "reversing" an XP (wired) to Vista (wireless) config/scheme, well, I "can" get confused by this very sort of thing rather quickly, so please...please bear with me a bit. I don't mind being teased or whatever, just please, all I ask is please don't give-up on me once we get started, if you decide to help me.

Trying to explain it all over again, to another person, when I'm halfway into it, well, I then seem to get DOUBLY confused (ha)!?!

Thanks in advance,
    Glenn . . .

6. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Hello?

7. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Anyone...? Please?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds