Simple System Tweaker - Questions

Discussion in 'Software' started by gainb1, Jul 12, 2014.

1. gainb1

gainb1 Private E-2

I installed Simple System Tweaker and applied the recommended tweaks to my Windows 7 PC after cleaning and clearing out much of the bloatware this past week. Here's my question:

Once I backed up the registry and clicked on "Apply Tweaks," I assume that these adjustments remain in effect until I click on "Restore."

There is little documentation or help information delivered with the Simple System Tweaker, so to ensure I was using this application correctly and visited the Tweaking.com website. The most I could find about this application was the following:
    However, I can find no indication of this capability on the application's interface. For anyone who uses Simple System Tweaker, do I simply "Apply Tweaks" and assume they take effect? Until such time I decide to restore to original settings, the application simply sits in the background and is available for restoration and nothing else at this point. Am I interpreting this correctly?

Thanks.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Source: http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/simple_system_tweaker.html

Your interpretation is correct. The registry is imaged then the tool is run; if you wish to revert back, simply click the backup reg file that was created.

3. gainb1

gainb1 Private E-2

Thanks, plodr, for the confirmation.

4. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

I use the Advanced System Tweaker which includes, like the Simple Tweaker, the ability to create a backup .REG file for reversing applied tweaks. The Advanced Tweaker also includes Tweaking.com's Registry Backup module. The authors recommend that every user do a full registry backup prior to applying any of their tweaks. As stated in that app:

Although the built-in backup mechanism that plodr discusses has always worked for me when reversing tweaks that were installed by Advanced System Tweaker, a careful (err...paranoid :-o) person might also want to do a full registry backup before tweaking.

If it isn't part of the Simple Tweaker distribution, you can download the aforementioned registry backup app here:

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/registry_backup.html

5. gainb1

gainb1 Private E-2

Good advice on the full registry backup, and the good news is that this function is included in the Simple System Tweaker. That's the first thing I did, as I fit the bill as a careful (paranoid) person who wants to make sure I can restore the system to where it was before any changes. I'll check out the Advanced System Tweaker, as it appears to have a few more useful tools and good reviews.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds