Single vs. Double sided RAM.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hrlow2, Oct 10, 2009.

1. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Trying to increase the memory in one of my machines.
    Currently have 2x512MB and 2x256MB in 4 slots.
    All are read.512 sticks are in A, 256 sticks are in B.
    All have chips on 1 side only, all are PC-3200 non-ECC.
    Trying to replace the 256 sticks with 2 512 sticks(PC-3200 non-ECC), but these have chips on both sides.
    With these installed, nothing shows on monitor.reinstall 256 sticks and everything is fine.
    This would take me to 2GB RAM if successful and machine has a 4GB max.
    What,other than the chip difference, be causing this problem?
    New sticks work singly or as only pair, but don't play nice with other pair.

2. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

When was the last time you flashed the BIOS on this machine? Update it to the latest mobo version, and try again. :)

3. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Already the latest version.
    Came already on machine. Checked numbers and revision dates at Intel site.

4. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

I presume that you are buying ram that is compatible with your mobo?

Sometimes as you are probably aware, mixing and matching ram from different manufacturers can cause errors. I am not sure if that is what you are doing.

I presume that you have tried to run your rig with just the x2 new ram sticks and that it works fine?

Lastly, try running memtest on the 2 new sticks, just in case.

Good Luck

5. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

to risk_reversal
    New sticks work fine as single or as a pair.
    Old sticks work fine as single or as pair.
    Just don't get along together.
    Have removed the new and reinserted the pair of 256MB sticks that DO get along with the old sticks.

6. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Do we have a single-channel vs. dual-channel issue here? Is your motherboard dual-channel-memory capable? Take a close look at your memory slots? Are they all the same color? Does the motherboard have any markings such as "Channel A" and "Channel B"?

7. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Is indeed capable,
    First and third slots are white,second and fourth are black.

8. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

What mobo are you using?

What make / model is new ram [and old for that matter]?

9. Mimsy

Doh. Really sorry I didn't notice this earlier. :banghead

Mind verifying for me that I'm reading this right? You have one pair of 512MB with chips on one side. You have another pair of 512MB with chips on both sides. Both pairs work great by themselves, they refuse to work together... right?

I'm going to guess the one-sided have 4 ICs on the PCB and the double-sided have 8 ICs, is that right as well?

10. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

to Mimsy
    Single side has 8 one 1 side.
    Double side has 8 on each side.

11. Mimsy

Ah, okay. Bad news: If you have the latest BIOS already, they will never work together.

The 8-chip modules have higher component density than the 16-chip ones, and though the vast majority of motherboards out there can use both high and low density memory, they tend to get confused when you mix them. It's an issue of math... the 16-chip one has twice as many components to spread the 512,000 kilobytes of data on, than the 8-chip does. I can't even begin to count how often this comes up at work, and I can't believe I missed it earlier.

Sorry. :(

12. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

to Mimsy
    So,can I safely assume that another pair of 8 chip sticks would do what I want?
    And that the 16 chip sticks are workable if used by themselves in a machine?

13. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Sticks I have in my other machine are 16 chip, but has DDR 32x8 PC3200 512MB on them.
    The new sticks have DDR 64x8 PC3200 512MB.
    Would these be compatable together?

14. Mimsy

Yes, and yes. :)

As for your second post, yes, they should be. I'd still pull them and test the combination though, just to make sure, since computers and their components have a bad habit of not working the way they should.

Then again, if they always did I wouldn't have a job, so maybe that's a good thing? :)

15. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Another question.
    What is the difference between the 32x8 and the 64x8?
    Outside of the visible ones that I can see,that is.
    Thinking in terms of performance,if any.

16. Mimsy

In terms of performance, none. It's in how the ICs and the module are manufactured.

17. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

All right then.
    Good to go now.
    Thanks a lot.

18. Mimsy

Great! :) Happy to help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds