Singled out CAT5 to connect to internet problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hungha, Jul 5, 2006.

1. hungha

hungha Private E-2

Hi,
    My parents hid my CAT5 cables not allowing me to connect to the internet becase of personal reasons.

Though, a few nights back; my dad allowed me a few hours on the computer giving me a specific CAT5 cable to connect. Not my old one.

I know, CAT5 cables are CAT5 cables, no difference.

I got curious to why he gave me a different one, .till one day I borrow a brand new CAT5 that my friend lend me and tried to sneak on; but it didn't work when I connected it. Still had that "Network Cable is unplugged" at the bottom right at the toolbar. I checked downstairs to see if they unplugged my connection to the router, but it was still enacted.

That very same night, my dad let me on the computer again for a bit giving me that same cable and it connected.

I snooped around asking my mom about it and she said that my uncle who majored in networking did something to single out to me only being able to connect using a specific CAT5 cable;
    thus as I remember, when I tried logging in to my computer the other day, the user name had changed to "Administrator" instead of my usual login...I would've guessed he did something on my computer that causes this problem and forgot to change the username back.

Now what I'm asking is:

From what I know, there is a way to single out somebody to connect using only one CAT5 cable to connect.

My question is...how do you fix it?

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Get new Parents "LOL"

If your Parents don't want you to connect, Why should anyone help you deceive them? Tisk Tisk Tisk................

I suggest you work thing's out with your Parents:)

3. hungha

hungha Private E-2

Ok.

Great support. :rolleyes: I'm sure you'll be a big help to the world today.

If you don't have anything useful to post...don't post at all.

4. agent-mulder

agent-mulder Private E-2

hi

Try to get hold of a cross over cable an try that

Regards Simon

5. pari22

pari22 Corporal

6. dchristman

dchristman Private E-2

If your connected directly from your pc to a router a cross over cable won't help. I don't think there is anyway to make one cat 5 cable work and not another. They probably have your ip blocked on the router so you can only get on certain times. They probably turned it on when they gave you the cable haha. My advise is the same as the others work this out with your parents and hopefully they'll let you on fulltime. Good luck.

7. user_x

user_x Private E-2

If they are strict about your internet access then you don't have much choice. If you sit them down and try to engage them in an adult conversation about your own feelings about the situation, they may take you more seriously and decide to give you more freedom. They may think you are too immature for the content/information online, and the times you have internet access may very well be keylogged and monitored.

I don't advocate going behind your parents back, unless they are the type who are controlling/ignorant to the point where rational discussion is useless. With that said, if you have enough money buy a laptop and get a hi-gain antenna installed on your nearby friends wireless router. Then simply use their wireless access whenever you want, provided the signal is strong enough.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds