SiS M671DX chipset drivers

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cellon, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Cellon

Cellon Private E-2

A while back I made a thread about my ASUS X71SL (http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=VUta9GoKvKtJx21G) having crackled sound after installing Windows 7. I was told the likely suspect was my missing chipset drivers, which I could not find any trace of at the ASUS support site. I sent some mails to them, asking for help about the missing drivers and after a few useless advices I was told my laptop needed to be repaired. I am however not completely sure that this is the case, as it seems like the problem is software-related and not hardware-related. I've been looking around on the net, but I can hardly find any mention of SiS M671DX chipset (not even on SiS' page) and definitely not drivers. I'm not even sure what to look for, if there are specific drivers for this chipset or one driver covering a range of chipsets, the way Nvidia does it with their graphics drivers. Anyone care to help, or provide me with the knowledge I need to find them myself?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Most of the time with SIS drivers and especially Chipset ones they come as part of the VGA driver, this is the SIS 671 driver HERE, but with you having an nVidia VGA card, it may conflict with it.

In Device Manager do you have any yellow ! marks by any devices, if so please name them?

Did you do an upgrade from say Vista to Windows 7 or was this a clean new install?
    Is your Windows 7 32bit or 64bit?

Problem could be in the Realtek Audio driver, so try the current unified (means covers many versions of the audio chip) from HERE

3. Cellon

Cellon Private E-2

Thanks for responding Halo, more info on the issue itself can be found in this thread, http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=216429. The only device with a yellow exclamation mark is "Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface" under the Network Interface Controller-category (probably not named that in any English version of Windows, but it's translated from Norwegian :p). I'm pretty sure it's new though, as I can't remember seeing a yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager before. It was a clean install, went from Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit.

As you can read from the thread I linked, the audio drivers are not the issue as I've tried both the ones on ASUS' page and the unified ones on Realtek's pages. Just to be sure I just tried installing the drivers you pointed to, it just made the crackling worse.

As for the chipset drivers, I just got the message "Cannot find a suitable package to install". I tried to run it as administrator, running it in compatibility mode for Vista, looking for any setup-file in the folders (the only setup-file was a .reg-file, and running any .exe file that might be an install resulted in the error message "run setup.exe as administrator" even though I did.

As some kind of last resort (not completely sure this wouldn't screw up my PC), I found the old driver-CD from Asus for my old Vista-OS which I thought I had lost. Ran it in compatibility-mode for Vista, installed the old VGA drivers included on the disk, together with LAN and Keyboard Filter drivers which I hadn't installed already. Not surprisingly, nothing worked.

I am all out of ideas now.

4. DavidGP

HI

Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface is used for IPv6 internet, and as we are all still using IPv4 then its kinda redundant upto now, most folk disable it or try the below.

Right click the Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface > Update Driver Software... > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer

or if you have ZoneAlarm installed this HERE

As for the Chipset, seems much harder to find as the ones at SIS themselves are built in with VGA drivers, so no good for you. Been reading more info from other users with similar crackling audio from Realtek drivers, and many are using older Vista drivers to cure this HERE. Dont think its the chipset drivers as it seems Windows automatically installs these for the SIS671 on install.

5. Cellon

Cellon Private E-2

That didn't work either. I have however discovered that the crackling can be greatly reduced by using the lowest quality available, 16-bit 44100 hz.

6. DavidGP

Hi

Think as their are others that are suffering with crackling sounds in Win7 due to the Realtek drivers available currently for some of the Audio chips, that you may have to wait and see if any new ones appear on Windows Update.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds