Sisoftsandra - fan problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by problemswithvaio, Jul 31, 2005.

1. problemswithvaio

problemswithvaio Corporal

I scanned with sisoftsandra and I got this message...

" One of the mainboard fans has failed or is spinning too slowly. This should appear only if the mainboard has a temperature-monitoring sensor installed and the fans have tachometers. If the fan is speed controlled, this may be normal.
    Fix: If the fan is not speed controller, power down the system immediately. Open the case and check that all the fans are working and check whether components are unusually hot inside. Make sure the components have good all-round ventilation."

I also scanned with hot cpu tester pro and found that my computer was at 100%, what makes me worry is that my fan has been high pitched maybe, it is doing overtime to make up for what the other fan isn't doing.
    How can I know for sure something is wrong?

2. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

problemswithvaio, it would have been pertinent to have included the make and model of your motheboard, in as much as to have more info. However, not essential, since there will be one of several instances for problematic fans.

Any fans that are connected to the motherboard will in theory fall into this reported error ie cpu fan, northbridge fan, case fan where a motherboard header is used.

I must admit I would not really rely on sandra reporting as 'gospel'.

In order then and in general terms. Heat issues can manifest themselves in reboots.

1. If you cpu fan is begining to wear then the cpu temp will rise. Have you detected any such increase. Worn bearings on a fan will lead to a 'rumbling' noise at start up until such time as the bearings have expanded (from the heat) and the noise will subside.

2. Northbridge fan, I have seen no utility that measures the rpm's on this fan but when it goes you hear it at start up.

3. Case fans. There are monitoring utililties for these. The impact here is lesser.

4. Possibly your vga fan but I do not think sandra measures this.

Solution.

In the morning take the side panel of your pc off, look at where your fans are located. Power up and listen.

Good Luck

3. problemswithvaio

problemswithvaio Corporal

thanks alot for that, I didn't hear anything unusual the only thing I noticed out of the ordinary, is the high pitch from the cpu fan while speeding up.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds