size limitation on my 120 Gb drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by metaltim, Feb 13, 2005.

1. metaltim

metaltim Private E-2

hey my first post here..
    heres my situation.

i put my 120 Gb IBM in an older computer, it only showed 30 Gb.
    now i know about the drive limiations for older bios and such..
    i tried updateing bios but couldnt get it to work.

so instead i just put it in my newer computer. it was actually in this comp before, until i got a new 200 Gb WD drive.
    well that WD drive got corrupted and im in the process of recovering files now. i found a program that works good.
    but i need the 120 GB IBM to do it.. but it is showing up as 30 Gb in my new computer also.

i've d/l the ibm drive fitness test thing. its dos based. that doesnt do anything for me, it just tells you if you have a corrupted disk.

ive formatted the new disk ntfs under the disk manager thing in xp.
    it formats fine, no errors, but is still only 30 Gb.
    there is no unallocated space or anything, just one partition and its 30 Gb

what else could be the problem here..
    ive heard somewhere that jumper settings could acutally limit the drive?
    anybody know about that..

anyway please help i need this drive to recover my bad files on my other drive..

thanks

2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

CLJ - Cylinder (or Capacity) Limitation Jumper. You probably need to remove it.

3. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

whats the model # of the drive?

if you need help finding the model number to figure out the jumpers,
    try a program like AIDA http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=181
    to get mire drive info.

once you open the program, on the left-hand side under storage, select ATA and shoose the drive.

it will tell you the model #, serial number, and a ton of other junk like unformatted capacity. (my WD 120GB reads 134149MB for unformatted capacity, for example..)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds