Skype audio question.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Spock96, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

I installed Skype a while back, so did my friend.

We went to try the video chat, and I could hear her perfectly fine through my laptop, but she could not hear me.
    I told her to try to change the settings for the speakers, to see if they were set to headphones and not speakers, and she said that it still didn't work.

I'm lost, as to how we can get her to hear me.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Spock96

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Try to run through the audio setup wizard and make sure your audio is getting out, if not then try skyping with a different person to see definitly see who has the issue her or you. Good luck.

4. Spock96

I never thought that it could have been a problem on my end. I'll look at that.
    Thought it was on her end, because I could hear her, fine. But she couldn't hear me.

Thanks Laura. :)

@Colemanguy-- Is the audio setup wizard part of Skype?

5. petermead83

petermead83 Private E-2

what ports does Skype need open on a firewall to work properly?

6. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Yes, apperently this newest version there is no direct link i can find. But if you goto call, then audio settings, you should see, microphone and speakers settings, make sure your microphone is selected and that when you speak into it, the volume level goes up and that will insure your picking up audio on your microphone.

7. Spock96

Update:
    Finally got a chance to try and fix this problem.
    I asked during my one class and we dinged around with it during our break and got it resolved.

Turns out that it had the incorrect microphone selected. Changed it to the correct one and it works now.

One question though:
    Why, if I never changed the settings to go to that microphone, did it not auto-select the proper default one?

8. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

windows has a default communication device setting, and that might have been changed if it was for example a usb mic, windows for me will then set the onboard one to be default, So if skype was opened during that time it might have set that as a default not my usb one in which i use. Anyhow, glad you got it working.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds