Slamming Spam - HELP!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cactus.Flower, May 28, 2003.

1. Cactus.Flower

Cactus.Flower Private E-2

Hi Gang!

Anyone know of a good spam blocker or filter??? I would rather not change my e-mail address and I'm drowning in unwanted spam ads. Are there any good freebies out there or must I give in to a purchase?

Thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate it! :)

2. Balbanebeoulve

Balbanebeoulve Bal. Balba. Babalabawhosemawhutsie

I have a good way to stop it, usually you sign up wityhout knowing. Like registering to a certain site and they checkmark stuff you forget to read. Like share information with trusted partners. So at teh bottom there should be uninstall method. This has kept me spam free for the longest of times.

3. Cactus.Flower

Thanks for responding, Balbanebeoulve, but I am well aware of those check-marked boxes on the bottom of registration pages of websites. Whenever I register on a site, and it's very rare when I do, I make sure I uncheck those boxes. But the spam, unfortunately, keeps coming at me.......UGH!!!! It's very frustrating, to say the least, and also very time consuming to manually erase them off my system.

4. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

Hello there, Cactus!!

Here's a page of available mail utilities right here at Major Geeks!!

http://www.majorgeeks.com/showfiles.php?cat=10

The most popular one is Mailwasher and it's free!! Plus you can bounce spam back to spammers as if you don't exist!! Very satisfying!!
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/article.php?sid=2054&cat=10

If you use Outlook, download SpamBully for Outlook2000/xp. It has worked absolute wonders for us. It costs 30.00 after the 30 day trial, but it seems to work better than Mailwasher for us. It also allows you to bounce emails.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/article.php?sid=2867&cat=10

There is also an Outlook Express version.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/article.php?sid=3048&cat=10

If none of these work for you, report back here, and give us some specifics of what system and program you use. Good luck!

Eric

5. mal1930

mal1930 Private First Class

HI Cactus flower. I have been reading a survey that a fellow is running on spam, it is in a newsletter called Tourbus.

Just for an experiment he went to the URL mentioned in a spam letter where you can cancel that particular spam. It is mentioned at the bottom of the letter.

The first week he ended up with twice as much of that type and as each week past he got more and more.

Don't try to cancel any spam by unsubscribing as it only tells them you are alive. Peace Mal

6. Cactus.Flower

Thanks So Much, Guys!!!!!

Thank you EVER SO MUCH for your feedback, Eric and Mal1930!!!!! I will definitely try those suggestions and let you know how I make out. By the way, I am using Windows ME. I'll have to experiment with this over the weekend. Unfortunately, due to the tough economy and having been through a series of layoffs over the past 4 years, I am forced to work 2 jobs to make ends meet. Thus, my free time to "play" is quite limited. So, you'll probably be hearing again from me on Sunday. It really helps to have geekie buddies out there willing to share their knowledge and expertise. This site is an absolute Godsend!!! :D Have a great day and thanks again for all your feedback.

P.S. I noticed that a lot of the spam I receive is sent to my e-mail box using "@erols.com" as part of the address. Am I right in assuming that it is a marketing tool used as a master key address designed to go out to all similar e-mail addy's no matter what ISP you use??? Just curious.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds