Slave jumpers: WD200BA-60AK

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RockinRoll, Nov 11, 2008.

1. RockinRoll

RockinRoll Private E-2

I've got Western Digital HD (WD200BA-60AK) that was the master. The system died and I'm trying to set it up as a slave to retrieve data.

It's a 9-pin and on the label "Jumper Settings" "Master 5to6 & 7to8" "Slave 1to2 & 3to4."

It's not listed on WD's site, too old, I guess. But I looked at a couple of their other 9-pin drives (links below) and it doesn't seem to be correct for a Master. They list 1&2 on the right side, closest to the power connector. According to the diagram my HD is set up on Cable Select. Is that a way a self-detecting Slave or Master?

Do I need to switch the jumpers 1to2 & 3to4 before I connect it to a W2K machine to recover data or am I good to go the way it is?

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=792

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=713&p_created=#jumper

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Try this link

Looks like jump pins 3 and 4 only. *Note that jumping 3-4 is one jumper connecting pins 3+4 vertically.

Edit: Wait you say you have a 9pin wD200BA?

3. RockinRoll

RockinRoll Private E-2

That's correct, 9pin.

4. sach2

Ignore my previous post, I see that there are 9pin wd200ba drives and the label on your drive contains the appropriate settings.

No matter what machine you put it in if you set the jumpers for slave according to the label or the diagram in your links it should be recognized as slave.

Cable select is ok if your machine has that feature and both drive's jumpers are set to cable select. You have to put the drive you want to be Master on the end connector of the data cable and the Slave drive on the middle connector the last end goes to the motherboard.

5. RockinRoll

RockinRoll Private E-2

sach2, still out there?

Did I do something wrong?

I switched the jumpers, installed the drive, plugged it in and the machine wouldn't boot.

I disconnected the computer from the outlet and then disconnected the power connector to the the slave drive (the ribbon cable is still connected). It booted, but without mouse support. Rebooted and it found the mouse and works fine.

I didn't do, "You have to put the drive you want to be Master on the end connector of the data cable and the Slave drive on the middle connector..." because I thought that meant only if the drives were set up as Cable Select. I was going to do it anyway, just in case, but the ribbon cable is too short and I would have had to swap the drives & drive bays. The way this box is made it's a PIA, e.g. among other things in the way, to get the Master out I'd have to remove the RAM and I don't have a grounding cord.

Is the order of the drives on the ribbon cable the problem?

I won't be able to get it on it till tomorrow but I certainly appreciate the help when can get to it.

6. sach2

To be honest, I've never tried it any way but having the master on the end of the cable.

First, if you've set the slave drive jumpers to slave position then I would also set the Master HD to Master position (not cable select)--[Master position would be determined by the label on the new HD-it may be different than the older one]. You could just prop it up on books or something to get it in a position where the cable would reach long enough to get the data off.

The mouse support was probably just a loose connection when moving the case around.

If you are just trying to get data off the old HD and not keep it permanently connected, you could unplug the CDROM and put the old HD on the CDROM cable as Master and just lay it on top of the case long enough to get data off it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds