Slaving a second router

Discussion in 'Software' started by Earthling, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I'm currently laid up recovering from knee surgery and have had more time on my hands than usual, so I thought I'd tackle something I've long hankered to have ago at - extending a WiFi network with a spare router. I used this -

http://www.talktalkmembers.com/t5/C...n-your-network/ta-p/1420185/comment-id/80#M80

and with a bit of perseverance it is working just fine with the help of powerline adapters. For those interested I heartily recommend giving it a go.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi B

Nice guide at that page, may give it a go myself at some point as I have a few spare routers here, generally I have used powerline for the far reaches of the house, mainly for the smart tv's.

Cheers for posting and hope your recovering ok.

3. Earthling

Yeah, I too use powerline for TVs and STBs and this enables you to add wireless access points anywhere you need them. Having said that, I doubt it will work with all router pairings but it did with mine. Discovering how to access the slave to configure it can cause some serious head scratching but it's really all there in the guide. Recovery going well thanks, anyone need a spare pair of elbow crutches? ;)

4. frankieboy

frankieboy Private E-2

Thanks Earthling - was just about to splash out on 2 x Gigabit powerlines with hotspot feature to enable my two WDClouds to talk to each other without taking 15hrs to download and add some hotspots. Now I only need the basic version which saves me about £50/sterling and I make use of those old routers lying about.

All round winner..

5. Earthling

I've only tested it with a couple of TalkTalk issued routers, a HG533 and a DSL3680. Let me know how it goes with your routers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds