SLI/New Card Questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MEGAMANFRE, Dec 1, 2005.

1. MEGAMANFRE

MEGAMANFRE Private E-2

Alright, Im in the market for a newer card. Something with a lil more ass kickery.

Right now, I have a 6600gt 128mb, and it does the job, decently. But I want better performance. I have an idea of what I want to do. I want to either get a 7800gt, or run an SLI of my 6600gt and a 6800gt after I get a new MoBo. My question is, can you use 2 different model graphics card in SLI? Ive heard that there have been problems, but dont know if it was for ATI or nVidia, or both. Also, would the performance increase from running an SLI of 2 6600gt be equal to or greater than the 7800gt? If its possible to do the 6600gt and the 6800gt, would that be equal to or greater than a 7800gt?

Im on a bit of a budget, and do want to get a new MoBo that supports SLI, but want to know which would be more worth it, just get the 7800 and when I have enough upgrade the MoBo and grab another 7800 (ultimately thats what I want to do in the end) or would the performance from 2 6600gt/1 6600gt & 1 6800gt be enough to act as a replacement for a 7800gt, until I can afford 2 7800s at the same time.

2. Unexperiencedn00b

Unexperiencedn00b Private First Class

Okay...lets start with the mobo....what processor are you running, and will the latest SLI motherboards support its Pin Count

The A8N SLI Deluxe is a socket 939 (Thats what im running) and it supports AMD ATHALON/XP/64/FX processors. It runs for around $140 now I believe

As far as im concerned to have SLI work properly, you have to have TWO IDENTICAL CARDS. I am running one 7800GTX and with my AMD 64 4000+ (2.4ghz) and only 1 gig of G-series 3200 RAM, I benchmark at 6800...not too shammy for such little RAM and a non FX or X-2 Processor. The 7800GT is not only better than the GTX, but I believe I read somewhere that one GT is better than two 6800s....im not sure though...that is definately something to look into.

3. MEGAMANFRE

MEGAMANFRE Private E-2

I was actually looking at the A8N, and thats probably the one Im gonna go with.

Im just trying to not drop a minimum of 300 bucks on the card itself, but want as good graphics as possible right now, and although my 6600 is doing the job at mid resolution, I wanna run a higher res on BF2, and still be able to hold my own in future games down the road.

For the most part, everything else on my PC will hold up for a lil while longer, the only thing is, the current vga card I have, is already somewhat outdated.

4. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

in terms of performance

2x 6600gt = better then 1 6800gt
    2x 6800gt = NOT better then 1 7800gt
    2x 7800gt = better then 1 7800GTX 512mb
    2x 7800 gtx = your wasting your money
    2x 7800gtx 512mb = you got too much money, buy me one.

5. Unexperiencedn00b

SO there you have it....buy a 7800GT :) Check these sites

www.newegg.com
    www.tigerdirect.com
    www.zipzoomfly.com (Free 2 day Shipping)

6. MEGAMANFRE

MEGAMANFRE Private E-2

Looks like Im grabbing a 7800gt and a new mobo for a second after the holidays :D

I wish I had enough for 2 7800GTXs, that would just kill!

EDIT: To run a 7800GT SLI, they have to be from the same manufacturer, or just both 7800GT cards period?

7. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

both same mfg and same revision etc etc.. has to be identical.

8. Unexperiencedn00b

In otherwords...If you buy it online....write down the model number, so when you order another, you can go back...even save the link somewhere :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds