slide show insertion using FrontPage 98

Discussion in 'Software' started by Noah, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Noah

Noah Private E-2

I would like to add a slide show presentation to my web site, http://www.noahsart.com so that the opening image would rotate several images. I'm not sure where to begin. Any help and direction will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Jack Lindsay

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Jack, great pictures by the way :)

I dont really use Frontpage or and website creating programs so dunno if this will help you but it looks promising http://lttechno.com/webhowtos/slideshow.htm

I did have a quick look and my version of frontpage ( 2003 ) and it allows you to add a slideshow by going to Insert > Picture > New Photo Gallery > add your pictures > Layout Menu - pick slideshow > OK but its pretty much one of those list of pictures that you click to get a bigger one and not really the look your after.

I would imagine that the lop link and Javascript is the look your after... so maybe some of our members that are more upto speed in that area will assist you.

3. Noah

Noah Private E-2

Thanks

Thanks Halo,
    I shall look into your suggestions.
    Jack

4. Noah

Noah Private E-2

Halo, I just checked the route you suggested and discovered that FrontPage 98 does not seem to have an option for "slideshow". I shall pour over the lttchno.com site for further info. Thanks again.
    Jack

5. DavidGP

Must be an addition to later versions :(

another avenue I have been reading about involves adding a Powerpoint slideshow to a webpage thats if you have powerpoint?

found this as well on the JavaScript route http://www.barelyfitz.com/webapps/apps/slideshow/ ( Free )

6. DavidGP

Well Jack... I've been playing with some software ( Microsoft Digital Image Pro ) I was given to test out for a company I do some work for as for one I hadnt found time to mess with it and two I thought with some of these new packages have templates to make photo albums, cards, calendars etc etc..... well this one allows me to make a flip book and save it as a gif which you know are good for website animations.

Now to find you something free that will do the same..... OK GUYS/GIRLS any of you know of something that will help jack make an animated Gif from jpgs etc?

below is what I ended up with can be re-sized plus small enough in file size not to slow a website down the Jpgs these came from are fairly big.

7. Noah

Noah Private E-2

Halo,
    Your note sounds a little like me with Photo Shop Elements 2....which I have but haven't taken the time to learn it. I should pour through the book to see what it offers. Perhaps the answers to my needs have been sitting here all along. Wouldn't that be a joke!
    Jack

QUOTE=Halo]Well Jack... I've been playing with some software ( Microsoft Digital Image Pro ) I was given to test out for a company I do some work for as for one I hadnt found time to mess with it and two I thought with some of these new packages have templates to make photo albums, cards, calendars etc etc..... well this one allows me to make a flip book and save it as a gif which you know are good for website animations.

Now to find you something free that will do the same..... OK GUYS/GIRLS any of you know of something that will help jack make an animated Gif from jpgs etc?

below is what I ended up with can be re-sized plus small enough in file size not to slow a website down the Jpgs these came from are fairly big.[/QUOTE]

8. Noah

Noah Private E-2

Halo, I just checked Photo Shop Elements 2 and while it does provide a method for creating a slide show it remains in the PDF format and can only be viewed through Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0. I have to keep searching for a better method that can be incorporated into my web page format.

[/QUOTE]

9. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

10. DavidGP

Hello Jack

Well this has been one of those things that gets me hooked into finding easy or simpler ways of doing things... WWW design is still on my list of things I want to teach myself SO to that end I have found something that combines the above stuff both me and Kodo have posted into something I could even master *yay go me*

Check this out http://www.barelyfitz.com/webapps/apps/slideshow/wizard/ follow the steps then add the generated HTML to your web page.. I found that the pics I had were too large so clicking the Design view in Frontpage I could resize and move the slideshow to where I wanted.

plus a quick sample of what I achieved and concidering I havnt really dabbled in HTML until today...........

http://mysite.freeserve.com/mercurious/index.html

Hope this helps

Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
  11. Noah

Noah Private E-2

Thanks, Kodo, for your suggestion to search http://dynamicdrive.com for a slideshow program. Many of them I would have liked to use but my images are not all exactly the same size so I had to use a harsher "flip" version. What I can't seem to figure out is how to center it on the page. I have tried <p align="center"> in several locations on the HTML coding and nothing seems to work. The show looks a little odd hugging the right side of the page. If you have a chance, please take a look at http://www.noahsart.com

But, all in all, it is starting to do what I want it to do....giving the first viewer a variety of images to interest them.

Thanks for all of your invaluable help.
    Make it a great weekend.
    Cheers, Jack Lindsay PS, your hotmail address doesn't seem to be working...."unknown user" and a returned message.

12. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

right above the <Script javascript 1.2> tag put <div align="center">

after the closing script tag </script> put </div>

Have you noticed that people get an error page when clicking on the pictures in the slide show?

13. Noah

Noah Private E-2

Thanks Kodo and Halo for all of you valuable help. I have now resized all of the images that I want to use in the slide show so that they are the same size. This will give me more options to use other techniques. I have not settled on a slide show that I like yet. The "book" arrangement on www.dynamicdrive.com looked interesting but I couldn't get it to work in my trials. I'll be trying a fading image option next. Hope that it is better.
    Kodo, I tried your suggestion for centering but for some reason the info. doesn't lock into the HTML coding. Although I "save" the changes the centering instructions don't remain. Seems odd. I'd still like to center which ever show is the final one.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions.
    Jack

14. acejones

acejones A Different Title

15. Noah

Noah Private E-2

Thanks, Acejones, for your suggestion. I just completed adding a fade slide show to my site ( http://www.noahsart.com ) by using dynamicdrive.com. I can't seem to figure out how to center it on the page however. I've tried the suggestions from Kodo but the changes in the HTML coding just don't lock into place but disappear. Any suggestions?
    Jack

16. acejones

acejones A Different Title

instead of <p align="center"> just try <center> and then after the java script put in </center>

17. DavidGP

Jack the only thing I can think of and its what I did to center the Java image was to click design view ( normal view on FP98 I gather ) click the image > click center as in the pic below.

[​IMG]

18. Noah

Noah Private E-2

Halo, it is interesting in that nothing of the slide show appears in the "Normal View" of FP98.....not even blank spacing where it should appear. The only time it can be found is when viewing the HTML coding and the "Preview" options. It is a mystery, isn't it?
    Jack

19. DavidGP

Weird... you can say that again Jack.... dunno if it will help but have a look at the page i'm using to play with in my earlier post and see if there is anything in the coding that will help you... you should be able to download and edit what I put up.

20. Noah

Noah Private E-2

Success!!!

Hello Halo and Kodo,
    Yes, the slide show is finally (!) centered. Solution: I created a three column table and placed the images centered in the middle column. Then changed the color of the borders of the table so that it would match the background and, consequently, the borders disappear. The result.....the slide show is now centered in the middle of the page. Take a look: http://www.noahsart.com
    Thanks again for the great exchange of ideas.
    Cheers, Jack

21. DavidGP

Superb Jack... looks great BTW :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds