Sloow PC - Brand new installation :(

Discussion in 'Software' started by DeepSpace, Sep 17, 2005.

1. DeepSpace

DeepSpace Private E-2

Hello,

I have a brand new computer wich is exactly like that:

EVGA GeForce 6600 256MB
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    1 GB of Kingston RAM (2x512 MB)
    ASUS A8V-E Deluxe motherboard
    160 Gig SATA HD, 7200RPM

Windows XP SP2 with all updates I can think of

The problem is, Windows XP (32) is kinda sluggyish, lets say I am playing an MP3, the system gets a little bit laggy and the sound is clipping.. i've tryed with 2 soundcards (the onboard one, and my m-audio audiophile usb one..) and still hapenning...

I am wondering if anyone ever had a similar issue, I mean, XP shouldn't be lagging with that kind of system just by playing a *($@ mp3?

I've noticed the CPU usage tend to peak when that happen, like the cpu usage will jump to 90 ish % and then i'll hear the clips in the sound, mostly when I open a program (like IE) while playing a mp3...

U have installed Norton Antivirus, so the system is absolutly virus free, and also Microsoft Anti-Spyware + Ad-Aware, so system is also spyware-free. The problem was hapenning before I've installed theses software, and ain't got resolved.

Thanks

2. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

That used to happen to me with my PC when it was running xp-sp2 but only every now and then. It never bothered me that much. I could never explain why it was happening.

I did a complete format and installed windows 2k for an unrelalated reason and i have not experienceed this problem.

Sorry i cant be of more help.

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Try Process Explorer.http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4566

4. DeepSpace

DeepSpace Private E-2

Okay,

I've run your application, and nothing suspect was there (only windows basic process, and Norton, and my drivers applications.. sich is quite normal.. new installation)

I've reinstalled the Via Drivers for the motherboard, and magically it works fine now!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds