Slow at startup - follow up from malware forum

Discussion in 'Software' started by ftlaudmom, Oct 13, 2013.

1. ftlaudmom

ftlaudmom Private E-2

I got assistance in the malware forum and cleaned my pc from some suspicious items. I'm still starting up very slow, maybe slower than even before, and still some freezing, particularly when playing youtube or music. The tech suggested I move over to this forum. Can you suggest what I should do next? Your help is appreciated.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

1. What version of windows are you running?
    2. How full is your hard drive?
    3. How much RAM in the computer?
    4. Are you up to date with windows?
    5. What av, firewall, anti-malware programs are you running?

3. ftlaudmom

ftlaudmom Private E-2

Windows XP
    Hard drive is 1.5 TB and I have over 800 g free
    2.0 G of RAM
    I am up to date on windows but there is one fix #2487367 that keeps failing
    I use AVAST, IOBIT Malware Fighter, Spywareblaster and Spybot Search and Destroy. I do not have Teatimer active.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

From reading that update in August 2011 was trying to install multiple times. It is for .NET 4, which you don't need on XP. You can go to updates and choose to hide it.

With 800GB free out of 1500GB, your hd has enough room so low space isn't the problem.

You also have enough RAM so the computer isn't freezing because that is an issue.

I have not used AVAST nor Spybot S&D for years so I'll have to do some looking.
    I never ran IOBIT malware fighter; I am a dedicate malwarebytes pro user. So give me time to search for information on the programs you have running.

Do You have CCleaner installed? If so, post the txt file of what is running at startup. If not, open msconfig and grab a screenshot of the startup items.

5. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

I would not run Iobit malwarefighter not only is it a resource hog but it is a nag program.I would remove it and use malwarebytes Pro.

I am part beta tester for Iobit and helping them find bugs in the program.There malware fighter is one program i will not use out of every thing else they sell.Mainly Due to that its a Nag program.

Spybot S&D is all so a resource Hog remove it and has not been updated in a while.

I would suggest on only using Avast and Malwarebytes Pro.I think malewarebytes pro is only 20$ for a life sub.

6. ftlaudmom

ftlaudmom Private E-2

Sorry it took so long to reply but had some personal issues to deal with. Anyway, here is my startup txt file and I went ahead and removed the malware fighter. I haven't removed the spybot as yet but plan to soon. I have skipping and halting issues when playing music, which is mostly what I use this pc for. This only began recently right before I sent the post to the malware forum. It is still doing it. It might just be time for new pc, though I hate to trash this one since its really only used for that one thing and has been going strong until now. Thanks for your help.

7. ftlaudmom

ftlaudmom Private E-2

Oops forgot to attach the file

Attached Files:

8. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Will give list on what is not needed at start up.

Type Msconfig in Run Then go to the startup tab

FreeRAM XP
    Romove this item it will make things worse then it helps.Dont use tools like this.

Jet Detection is not requirded to run on start up.

BluetoothAuthenticationAgent if you have a Blue tooth keep it or if you dont stop the startup.

ctfmon.exe is not needed.

FlashPlayerUpdate is not needed you can update your self.

GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe is not needed.

Zune Launcher is not needed at startup

Try these and see if that helps.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds