Slow boot/bios lag

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jefflbi, Feb 9, 2013.

1. jefflbi

jefflbi Private First Class

My boot is very slow, but my pc runs fine. I disabled the boot to lan option which helped, and disabled my floppy controller as I think my floppy drive had bit the dust because the floppy light was on all the time. I also disconnected the floppy cable. But when I go into the bios, the screen has a very slow refresh rate, and the response to making a selection within the bios takes 3-5 seconds. Also, during boot, that white bar at the bottom of the screen used to flash by, now it goes by in segments. Like I said, my pc runs fine, but the slow boot just bugs me. I've also reseated my memory. Any ideas??

2. jefflbi

jefflbi Private First Class

Well, I figured out what was wrong, and I thought I would share just in case it might help someone else down the line.

It appears that one of my external hard drives had some corrupt sectors. I use a Thermaltake BlacX with two 250 GB Western Digital hard drives. It's connected back to my pc via usb. Evidently during boot, the bios was having trouble accessing the drive. I realized the drive had problems when I clicked on it and wasn't able to access the files, then in disk manager saw that it didn't recognize the file system as ntfs. Through the event log I was able to get the steps to run a chkdsk /r from a command prompt. That took an extremely long time and did find and fix a bunch of errors. Now there is a bit of history that might have led to this problem. When I originally configured the drive and set it as Dynamic and not Basic. Why, I don't know. I just don't do that much of that sort of thing and picked Dynamic. Well when I saw that my internal drives were Basic, I decided to go through the pain of moving all the files from one drive to the other, delete the partition and recreate as Basic. Since I hadn't had any problem with the drives when they were Dynamic, I can only guess that even though I did a full format, I guess some file fragments were still left. Anyway, after getting the chkdsk /r finished, my pc booted normally.

On a side note, the pc did another chkdsk on the same drive, on boot up last night. Why, I don't know, but it took a few hours again to complete. Maybe the drive needs a low level format, or it could just be going bad. Could be time to back those files up to a DVD while I can.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds