Slow computer/messenger service popups

Discussion in 'Software' started by e9687, May 25, 2004.

1. e9687

e9687 Private E-2

I have a Dell laptop - less than a year old. I just started connecting to the Internet via a cable line. Since then the computer has been very sluggish - takes forever to load or do anything, I get tons of "messenger service" popups and the desktop has now changed to an orange color with orange vertical stripes on the sides.

I'm going to try loading spyware and I found some info on Microsoft's site about getting rid of the messenger service popups. I did Norton and Symantec's virus scan and found nothing.

Any ideas?

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

3. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Also, did you disable the Messenger service as per Microsoft?

Start > Run > services.msc > double-click on Messenger > set 'Startup Type' to Disabled

4. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

The slow performance could be caused by an infection of the Sasser/Blaster worm.

LSA Exploit
    RPC Exploit

You should install some Firewall- and AntiVirus- Software

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds