Slow Flashing power light – no boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Somemelvin1, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Somemelvin1

Somemelvin1 Private E-2

Gateway DX4640 desktop froze in the middle of viewing IGN.com.

It required a hard re-boot. Now I get a slow flashing power light. Fan starts but it won’t boot. I tried bootable CD with no success, although the CD drive does spin when a CD is inside.

We tried the following:
    1. unplugging power and then depressing power bottom for a minute to discharge battery.
    2. pulling out the memory cards one at a time, and then booted with just one memory card at a time without success.
    3. removed battery and reinserted after 10 minutes

I would appreciate any advice you might have.
    Thanks.

2. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

This is a common issue with Gateway machines, it is down to the onboard Video chip overheating and failing, though this mostly happens with laptops!! have you got a spare vid card lying around or can you borrow one from another machine and try it in agp/pci/pcie expansion slot, to rule it out ??

iain.t :major

3. Somemelvin1

Somemelvin1 Private E-2

Thanks for the response.
    I have a couple of IBM thinkpad laptops but no other desk tops to borrow a video card from. Any other way to identify that the video card is the problem?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds