Slow internet with a WRT54G2 linksys router connecting with 3 comps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hav3nsblade, Sep 23, 2011.

1. hav3nsblade

hav3nsblade Private E-2

Hey guys, I have a WRT54G2 linksys router and all of a sudden on the 19th, it began to act really slow for my end when mine, my dad's and mom's computer were on. Usually before that during the summer and back, we could run all 3 and stream movies/videos with no latency issue or DL speed issue. Since the 19th, it had gotten my end to a slug speed with 200+ latency and less than 1mb DL speed. We're all running ethernet cables toward our comps. I have Cable internet(Optimum Online) which has a 15mb/s DL speed when I'm just speedtesting when my computer is the only one on during these past days. No viruses. When 1 gets shut down, the speed goes back up a bit to 2-3 mb/s and with only 10 latency. What the hell is the problem? Please help, guys!

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

What are you getting when running a speedtest at either Speakeasy.net/speedtest, or speedtest.net? Have you also tried rebooting the modem, router and all computers? Have you double checked with your provider or lord forbid, your parents to see if the ones who are paying the bills, may have lowered the speed to save money.

The later is a possibility, due to a lot of people are unable to afford higher speed plans these days, and want to be able to just retrieve their email, and check out news, that you can do with a below 6 mb plan (ie 1mb download).

3. hav3nsblade

hav3nsblade Private E-2

No, they haven't lowered the speed or anything. I've done it with speedtest.net. I've tried restarting the router and modem. To of no avail. =(

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

You need to run a speedtest and pingtest at speedtest.net and post back.

5. hav3nsblade

hav3nsblade Private E-2

It's fine if it's 2 computers on, but if it goes to 3, my end gets really laggy with slow DL speeds.

6. hav3nsblade

hav3nsblade Private E-2

[​IMG] Here are the results with 2 computers on.

7. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

I do not see a problem. As for laggy, are you talking about during gameplay online? If that is the case, post a traceroute to the game server you are having problems with. What version of windows are all three computers running, and are they up to date, been scanned with CCLeaner, have a up to date anti-virus software on them, and which one.

8. hav3nsblade

hav3nsblade Private E-2

[​IMG] My pingtest so far. It's not the gameserver, it's everything. DL speeds, mIRC chats are delayed etc. 2 of our computers are running XP SP3 and the other is latest version of Vista. My computer is pretty much 100% clean and the other 2 are maybe 95% clean. There is up-to-date AV on all 3 computers.

9. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

You can run the tweak info for the XP boxes at http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks, since XP does not tweak itself like Vista & 7 do. There are some minor network tweaks that you can do with Vista & 7, that you can use the Ultimate Windows Tweaker from http://www.thewindowsclub.com

When you run the tweak test at dslreports.com, follow the info at the faq's http://www.dslreports.com/faq/tweaks And when you use DrTCP, it may not look like there are any changes, but overall, it will show for the xp system you do it on. Keep in mind, that if you are playing games, downloading, watching movies on all at the same time, it can saturate the network to slow it down. That is why QOS is so important, that people tend to roll their own router with either smoothwall, pfSense, or put a third party firmware on their router like Tomato or DD-WRT.

10. hav3nsblade

hav3nsblade Private E-2

[​IMG]

That's what it is right now at 10:17 PM EST. Before, my ping was very high. I checked on my father's computer and his stream said he was DLing at 600+ kb/s. My mother had recently shut down her computer. What the hell is the problem? I think it's the router. What do you think?

11. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Reboot everything, but only turn on one computer at a time, when running the speedtest. Also follow the instructions regarding tweaking the XP machines.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds