Slow laptop - software issues

Discussion in 'Software' started by pjwoody71, Sep 20, 2010.

1. pjwoody71

pjwoody71 Private E-2

I have posted a thread in the malaware forum, see below for the logs etc.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=223316

and i am told i have no registry/logs issues, and was advised to request help on this forum.

the tests ive done show my ram as 1gb but the available memory as low as 135mb. it seems something is slowing the laptop down.

any idea's?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You don't need these running:

copy just the bold text below to notepad (Do not include any space above the word REGEDIT). Save it as fixME.reg to your desktop. Be sure the "Save as" type is set to "all files" Once you have saved it double click it and allow it to merge with the registry.
    Make sure that you tell me if you receive a success message about adding the above
    to the registry. If you do not get a success message, it definitely did not work.

There isn't much else running that could be slowing you up.

3. pjwoody71

pjwoody71 Private E-2

copied the text and recieved a msg that it had been succesfullyt added to the registry.

do i just need to restart now?

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi Woody,

I'd go a little further than TimW on this one and suggest that the following don't need to be running either:

"IgfxTray"=.
    "HotKeysCmds"=.
    "Persistence"=.
    "GrooveMonitor"=.
    "Nokia Ovi Suite"=.
    "OneNote 2007 Screen Clipper and Launcher"=.
    "ehTray.exe"=.
    "ISUSScheduler"=.

Vista can be a real RAM hog, 600MB+ used after booting up is normal, it can be quite time-consuming to lower it significantly.

5. pjwoody71

pjwoody71 Private E-2

thanks satrow,

also included your advice and recieved a succesful msg.

do i need to restart?

6. satrow

Yes please, restart, allow it to sit at the Desktop for about 5 minutes then check Available RAM with Task Manager > right-click the Taskbar > Start Task Manager > Performance tab.

7. pjwoody71

pjwoody71 Private E-2

rstart, left for 5 checked ram and its showed 136mb available.
    ive attached a copy of the system report.

below is the memory process and comitted kb. (dont know which report to send u to show this.

svchost##4 162,672kb
    rundll32##1 112,072
    svchost##2 169,572
    svchost##5 161,856
    avp 543,572

the laptop is still running v.slow

Attached Files:

8. TimW

What is avp? That sounds like a rogue AV program. What happens if you stop that service?

9. pjwoody71

pjwoody71 Private E-2

could that be kaspersky?
    i did remove kaspersky while completing the thread in malaware, but it made no difference to the speed.

how can i find what avp is? and remove it

10. TimW

No...that jogs my pea brain. It is Kaspersky.

11. pjwoody71

pjwoody71 Private E-2

has anyone got any idea's on how i can increase my available memory?

12. TimW

You could try going into msconfig and uncheck all your startup programs. Then see how much RAM is being committed. Add them back one at a time to see if you can pinpoint the main culprit.

13. satrow

Following after TimW's advice, you could check that you haven't got any kind of effects loaded in your Audio mixer(s) that are loading.

Also Searchindexer can be a problem and anything set to run from Task Scheduler.

Can you tell us which App is using most RAM by checking in Task Manager too?

14. pjwoody71

pjwoody71 Private E-2

not sure, is there a program i can run to collect the info and post a log to you. i think i have a lot of uneeded progs running in the background, but unsure which ones i can stop without effecting the normal running of the computer.

15. satrow

Attaching a screenshot or two of Task Manager showing all the running processes and the memory they are using would help.

16. pjwoody71

pjwoody71 Private E-2

i have 2 screenshots but they are over the min kb allowance to attach.

17. satrow

If they're jpegs, they should be ok. Reopen them and save as?

18. pjwoody71

pjwoody71 Private E-2

zip attached for your reference

Attached Files:

19. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

For Processes, PLEASE click the "Show processes from all users" to list all active processes.

Also, my two cents is Vista simply doesn't run well with 1GB of RAM. Upgrade your RAM to 2GB minimum, 4GB if you can afford it and your computer supports it. Or even better, get Windows 7 and upgrade your RAM to 2GB!

20. pjwoody71

pjwoody71 Private E-2

pls find attached all user processes

Attached Files:

21. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Much better... a quick scan doesn't reveal anything you can "fix" to make Vista run more quickly... I stand by my suggestion to upgrade your amount of RAM (and, if within your budget, Windows).

I've seen lots of computers running Vista go from 1GB to 2GB of RAM and have a very noticeable speed difference. I've seen many of these same computers get an upgrade to Windows 7 and have an additional noticeable speed improvement.

22. satrow

Why don't you try GameBooster, it'll give you some extra headroom.

23. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

I've heard GameBooster mentioned before, and I'm curious: have you had personal experience with it improving speed on a Vista system with 1GB of RAM?

If so, it might be something I recommend to people.

24. satrow

I've used it on XP and W7 but not on Vista. It scans running Processes and Programs and makes a pretty good call on what's safe to disable (to play games), so if it's run just after Windows startup, you can disable any non-essential Processes with it (you can uncheck stuff you know, or think, you'll need).

I guess it'll trim running Processes to around 35, instead of Vista's 'normal' 55-60, and probably reduce RAM usage by 100MB plus, making the PC feel distinctly snappier (until you fire up a big Prog. that forces Windows to shell out much of the RAM contents to pagefile).

With my own machines (and those of other's whose PC usage I know well), I manually disable unneeded Processes and tweak (mostly) by hand.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds