Slow Loading of Personal Settings/Shutting Down and Errors

Discussion in 'Software' started by Rachel87, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Rachel87

Rachel87 Private E-2

I'm posting this on behalf of my friend. She has Windows XP and she says it's taking forever to load her personal settings and it's even worse when she tries to shut down. She's got Ad-Aware and Norton, so she's not sure if this is spyware or virus related or if it's something else. Also, when she turns the computer on, she gets some message to the effect of "mfc70.dll application has failed.. something about reinstalling this may correct the problem." When she turns it off, rundll32.exe stops responding everytime. She chooses End Now, and goes through the slow process of turning it off. What should she do to speed up turning the computer on and turning it off? Anything she can do about the mfc70.dll problem and the rundll32.exe? Thanks.

2. Rachel87

Rachel87 Private E-2

Do you think if she gets the rundll32.exe and the mfc70.dll problem taken care of that her personal settings will load faster along with shutting down?

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Rachel.. a few things to find out for us if you can.........

When did this start happening and was anything new installed software wise?

If she goes into Event Viewer logs is their any errors at time of boot of shutdown?
    to view event viewer logs go into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer and look in both Application and System

On the error with mfc70.dll application has failed.. does it give you any more info eg. what application is causeing this and re-installing what may fix it?

also if it was a recient problem... then as LAST RESORT maybe a System Restore will fix it... BUT before we cross that bridge please give us some more info...... on the subject of System Restore if you don't already know.. if you revert back you WILL loose all Data, Documents, Emails etc etc that were saved after the last known good date of a system restore point unless you backup all of those things I mentioned earier and things that are important to your friend ( these things I don't know so be very careful ) ..... so before we maybe cross this bridge we can try other things first!

@ Thundermoon... the guy you are thinking of is Kevin ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds