slow loading programs at startup

Discussion in 'Software' started by waorellana, Mar 31, 2010.

1. waorellana

waorellana Private E-2

I did the malware forum and was help with fixing a few things but was told that the slow process was not due to malware and to post here. So I am hoping if I can get some help on finding out what could be slowing down the computer. The system tray only has eight icon that loadup and I was told that i have
    RAM:
    Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 149.91 MB

2. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

A few more details would help.
    Spec
    OS
    Start up programs :)

3. waorellana

waorellana Private E-2

sorry about not providing enough info first post. but is there a easy way to get that information to a file or do I have to type each one from msconfig?

4. waorellana

waorellana Private E-2

There are not to many so here they are

Intel(R) Celeron(R) M
    Processor 900MHz
    897 MHz, 504MB of ram

startup through CCleaner msconfig
    MsnMsgr
    ctfmon.exe
    ACU
    Windows Defender
    RTHDCPL
    Persistence
    IgxTray
    HotkeysCmds
    ETDWare
    AsusTray
    AsusEPCMonitor
    AsusACPIServer
    Adobe Reader Speed Laucher
    SunJavaUpdatedSched
    DLCICATS

Thany you :)

5. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

512M memory in, I assume, winXP with SP3, it will run slowly.
    All the programs you have running there could be safely disabled, use Winpatrol, that you can find here.

What is ACU? I don't see an antivirus in this list.

I would disable MSNMSGR, Windows defender, adobe, ETDWare, (what is this?)DLCICATS, (what's this?), ACU, Sun Java Updater, and probably the ASUS items. If uncertain if any of these are essential to your computer, you can reboot into safe mode and see if any of these are running.

Also, use AVAST for your anti-virus, if you don't have one.

Has Norton or Mcaffee ever been on this machine?:wave:wave

6. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

The 504MB of ram, which is 8MB less than 512MB, indicates you may be using onboard video and your computer is allocating only 8MB of RAM to the video function. In other words, 8MB of RAM is "shared" with, or reserved for, the onboard display adapter. Onboard means the display adapter, or video "card", is built-in, or integrated, in to the motherboard. If true, this is a major weak point in the system.

If I'm correct about this, you can improve performance by:
    1. Adding an AGP video card if you have an AGP slot in your computer.
    2. If you do not have an AGP slot, a PCI video card is the next best option.
    3. If have neither an AGP slot or an available PCI slot, or you prefer to avoid the cost of a video card, then access your BIOS settings and increase the amount of RAM shared/allocated to the video function/display adapter.

Note: To get some info about your display function, run dxdiag. To run it, click the Windows Start button, select Run and type dxdiag in the Run box.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  7. waorellana

waorellana Private E-2

I removed Norton while I was doing the malware forum restarted in safemode and here the process that are running:the only process that run in safemode are
    svchost.exe
    MsMpEng.exe
    svchost.exe
    svchost.exe
    lsass.exe
    services.exe
    winlogon.exe
    csrss.exe
    smss.exe
    System
    System Idle Process SYSTEM
    while in normal mode these are the process that are running:
    normal boot

winlogon.exe
    System Idle Process
    System
    svchost.exe SYSTEM
    svchost.exe LOCAL SERVICE
    svchost.exe NETWORK SERVICE
    svchost.exe SYSTEM
    svchost.exe NETWORK SERVICE
    svchost.exe SYSTEM
    svchost.exe SYSTEM
    svchost.exe LOCAL SERVICE
    spoolsv.exe SYSTEM
    smss.exe SYSTEM
    services.exe SYSTEM
    SeaPort.exe SYSTEM
    RTHDCPL.EXE Marvin
    MsMpEng.exe SYSTEM
    MSASCui.exe Marvin
    lsass.exe SYSTEM
    jusched.exe Marvin
    jqs.exe SYSTEM
    igfxex.exe
    hkcmd.exe
    explorer.exe Marvin
    ETDCTRL.EXE Marvin
    dlcicoms.exe SYSTEM
    ctfmon.exe Marvin
    csrss.exe SYSTEM
    AsTray.exe Marvin
    AsEPCMon.exe Marvin
    AsAcpiSvr.exe Marvin
    alg.exe LOCAL SERVICE
    ACU.exe Marvin
    acs.exe SYSTEM

I guess my question would be If you have any idea why so many of the same process are running in normal mode and these process dont need to be running that many times then how do I prevent from loading all the time.

8. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

The startup items in safe mode I had meant to be looked at with cCleaner, this will indicate what your available choices are.:wave:wave

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The computer is running at 900MHz. That computer will never be a speed demon. I have a laptop from 2001 that has 1GB of RAM, operates at 1000MHz and is running windows 2000 (less requirements than XP) and it is slow starting up. It is not connected to the internet so it has no security programs.
    You just have to accept the fact that a 900MHz computer with windows will be slow.

On the other hand, I have an eeepc running at 900MHz with 1GB RAM running linux and it loads in 30 seconds!

Is your computer a netbook? If so, windows will not run as fast on it. Also, you do want to swap out the 512MB RAM stick for a 1GB stick; that's the first thing I did when I bought mine in January 2008.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds