slow performance and runtime error

Discussion in 'Software' started by norton47, Mar 11, 2008.

1. norton47

norton47 Private E-2

Hi I was asked to post about slow performance. I was working on the Malware side and ran the logs. After review they suggested posting here and the hardware side.
    The machine seems to run sometimes then goes wacky. The display updates very slowly almost one line at a time. Selections clicked on take a very long time, 15 seconds or more sometimes. The hard drive light is on almost constantly.
    It was noted that I have McAfee and HP programs and that they were high memory items. I have since deleted all HP programs except what is required for my printer.
    I got a run time error the last time I shut down. Program C:\Progra~1\McAfee\MSC\MCMSCSVC.exe R6025 pure virtual function call.

I have also had BSOD. Last time i wrote down this IO SYSTEM Verification Error in SDATOR2K.SYS WDM Driver ERRO 216 [SDSTUR2K.SYS+577E@F74E677E.
    Not sure what to do now!

2. norton47

norton47 Private E-2

Hi
    While reviewing options, i downloaded and ran some tools for file monitor and disk monitor.
    The disk monitor shows continual access activity.
    THe file monitor shows McAfee like this 12:05 mcmscsvc.exe:700 READ C:\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\APPLIC~1\McAfee\MSC\Logs\{FB971372-E2E9-43AE-8B4E-D0918E9AEF78}.log SUCCESS Offset: 99551232 Length: 1024.
    I also see TEA TIMER for time to time which I understand.
    But should McAfee be reading and writing to the log with only breaks when I select a browser or other function? Such as this:
    12:16 vsmon.exe:1484 OPEN C:\ SUCCESS Options: Open Directory Access: 00100001
    12:16 vsmon.exe:1484 QUERY INFORMATION C:\ SUCCESS FileNameInformation

3. norton47

norton47 Private E-2

Mark
    Yes I do have ZoneAlarm installed.
    What I was really questioning is the continuous mcmscsvc.exe calls. They are almost continous. They only seem to stop after I switch from a browser to opening an exploxer window to get to a folder or open an application. Those happen many seconds/minutes after the selection but that seems to be when the processor finally reacts to the command and while it's doing those actions there aren't any mcmscsvc.exe calls.
    I am about ready to just delete McAfee and see what happens. If I do I will use the tool you identified. I have had issues with McAfee uninstall before.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds